Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

05 November 2006

(H) Hydra Harvest

Driving down the road, on route to walking the dogs, I turned the corner, and this is what I saw:



Lovely, huh? Looked like the sky was lit up by a bush fire.

Unfortunately, I seem to be totally incapable of capturing the evening scenes as I'd like to. The only way I have is to use long exposure, but then you have to keep really, really still - even resting on the roof of the car (and yes, I did turn the engine off! :-)) there was still a slight wobble when I pressed the button. A tripod would be brilliant, but it's not something I tend to carry round with me!

Anyway, I don't think I've seen such a spectacular sunset for a long time. In fact, it was so stunning that the car in front of me also pulled over simultaneously, the lady driver diving out and waving her mobile phone around sheepishly, cursing she didn't have a camera with her! Made me feel quite professional pulling mine out from it's case :-)

As I sit here, I would normally have expected some fireworks to be going off in the distance, but... silence...

Guess I should really have saved my Fireworks poem for today, but I used it to celebrate opening my blog 23 whole days ago (wow, only 3 weeks? ). So, I think another kiddie one.

Several from Monsters 4 Bed are longer story-rhymes, and this is one of them. It's about a multi-headed mythical creature called a Hydra:

[Poem Hydra Harvest removed for publishing Aug 2017
other rhymes from this collection now on Amazon A-Z Monsters (not) For Bed]

© Annelisa Christensen 6:34 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

10 Comments:

At November 05, 2006 10:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At sunset, sunlight is passing through a much longer path of the lower atmosphere than when the sun is overhead, the effect of particles (from both natural and "un-natural" sources such as industry) in the atmosphere becomes much stronger. So, you end up seeing more red light that any of the other colors of light, and the sky appears red (compared to the amount of blue or green light)

 
At November 05, 2006 11:21 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thank you anonymous- It's kind of funny, isn't it, that the more polluted the air becomes, the prettier the sunset?

 
At November 06, 2006 3:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning,

It's very interesting, but we do not have such brilliant sunsets that often here.

Thank you for capturing the colors.

 
At November 06, 2006 3:15 pm, Blogger bulletholes said...

In Texas when there is a Dust Storm west of here, the light will turn golden and everything from green grass to asphalt and brick buildings turns gold as well.
Your sunset reminds me of a line in a Mckuen poem...'purple sun-shot evening dream".

 
At November 06, 2006 3:30 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Afternoon, Brian
No, we don't usually have such gorgeous sunsets - there's a lot of 'pretty nice' ones, but that one was a blazer!

At work today, we were discussing it, and anonymous's comment, and wondered whether it could have been so dramatic because of all the bonfires the night before...

Wow, Steve, that sounds really cool! And, maybe if a dust storm can do that, then all the smoke particles could give us our sunset last night...

Like that line from the poem - I shall have to see if I can find the rest of it!

 
At November 06, 2006 9:52 pm, Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

Beautiful. And I think the photograph fits it well. Something I may have to include amongst the treasures I've Found In The Blogosphere. :-)

 
At November 06, 2006 10:07 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hmmm, not sure if the photo matches the hydra monster rhyme, but they both were both arguing for attention, so I was compromising, putting them on together...

Glad you liked them though!

 
At November 07, 2006 7:06 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks red-dirt-girlfriend, my 'wit' probably came from my father's influence, I think - he always had an answer to everything! You know how sometimes people think they do? Well, he actually did :-) I spent many hours argueing with him, and so missed that when he died - the only person I ever found to throw themselves into a week-long arguement! :-)

 
At November 15, 2006 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely pic.

and scary rhyme. :)

 
At November 16, 2006 1:47 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

mmmm, the rhyme is one of the gory ones... there's more to come in that line... :-S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home