Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

01 November 2006

Remedial Red Wine (transferred from 'Sultana Fling')

Oh, I love this!

For some time now I've been applauding the scientists for finding two very good reasons for drinking red wine: for the heart, and for the head. Both my father and brother died of heart diseases, and my mother has Alzheimer's, so the unearthing of this news has allowed me a damn good excuse for a guilt free glass a day.

But, today, I see there is even more reason to celebrate with a glass of red:

Counteracting bad diet: Eating my daily chicken tikka samosas might be ok, because it is counteracted by the
resveratrol in the wine (by just a little bit)! Apparently this chemical prevented most of the side effects of a bad diet in mice over 6 months [Yeeesss! I like the sound of that!]

So, I had a look to see what other benefits red wine might have, and found:

It helps prevent the common cold and herpes

T
hough there are benefits for the heart, caution is made to starting drinking alcohol if you don't already (moderation, moderation, moderation!)

It's apparently a key to longer life, again due to the potent polyphenol, resveratrol.

Prevention of cancer, due to the antioxidant phenols in red wine including catechin, gallic acid, and epicatechin, and again the polyphenol, resveratrol, is mentioned as having the most benefits. Types of cancer mentioned here are leukemia, skin, breast, and prostate cancers.

And, if you are worried about the increase in alcohol affecting your health negatively, apparently the benefit of drinking red wine is that it doesn't reduce your white blood cell count (and so your immunity) as other alcohols do.

Obviously, you could get these benefits from red grape juice, or such like (mentioned in many of these articles) but hey! I'm convinced! :-)

© Annelisa Christensen 10:58 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

4 Comments:

At September 05, 2008 8:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you single?

 
At September 05, 2008 8:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As opposed to seeing double? :-)

 
At September 05, 2008 8:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I suppose they had to do something for the mice with their high fat cheese diets!

I don't know how you have the time or energy to keep up 3 blogs and post every day on at least 1 of them! You're lovin' though, so keep it up.

(good response to the first comment!)

 
At September 05, 2008 8:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know - I think I'd like to be the mice in this case - cheese and wine would suit me admirably! :-)

Ehm...maybe the reason I'm up so late now is that I should really put the pc off and not consider (as I'm doing) writing a post for this one. I'll probably do one tomorrow, as I just have to get the peace globe up!

And re the response - I just happen to know (I just don't know how!) that he's single, living with his parents and looking for a girlfriend! Wouldn't want to encourage him, now would I! :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home