Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

29 October 2006

(R) Rasputin the Rebel

(The Dawning and Setting of a weekend...)

Friday morning - sunrise in the forest

(Into the sunset on the way home)
What a lovely weekend! All my cousins from Denmark came over and joined us in Norfolk - we were 15 in all in a large rented house (I think possibly once a mansion), went on a boat trip up the river Yere into Norwich (the name of which, the boatman told us, originated from Danish). The town was older than I could possibly imagine (pretty sure he said 2-3000 years), and history oozed out of every rickety wall. A tasty lunch was had in Norwich's oldest pub, The Adam and Eve, which was built about 11-1200 AD (It was definatley old!)


Afterwards, the cathederal beckoned, and the wedding party inside was probably a little put-out by all the tourists (such as ourselves) stopping and taking in the scene. The highlight for me was the font - made from a large copper cauldron once used in the local chocolate factory! (picture left)
Last night we had a bit of an alcoholic sing-song (try as we might there was no getting out of it, but in fact it turned out to be incredibly enjoyable. It's a shame we do this so rarely - if ever- nowadays!) So, today we were lazy, enjoying the beautiful day by walking through the local meadows. If it hadn't been for the curiosity of the 'rescued' horses, this would have gone quite without comment, but there was one particular horse, which appeared to have more 'stamp' in his hooves than most others... The barbed wire fence looked like the better option, and over I went - straight down a slope, and nearly into a stream... Still preferable to the excited horse (lovely as he looked!) I came out covered in ladybirds!

So lazy, yet such a fun and interesting weekend. And so lovely to see relatives who live across the sea!
It's also a shame that we are more and more seperated from our extended families over here. One of my cousins is a grandmother (though only a few years older than me) 4 (and 1/2) times over! She and her husband live near the children and grandchildren. As do her parents, and two brothers. Her grandmother (nearly 100) lives only a few miles away. So, there are 5 generations all living close together in the community... where has that gone from the majority of peoples' lives?

OK, I have written my Dona Nobis Pacem poem for November 7th (though it needs a little tweaking :-) ), but am, of course, saving that for November 7th!

[Poem Rasputin the Rebel removed for publishing Aug 2017
other rhymes from this collection now on Amazon A-Z Monsters (not) For Bed]

© Annelisa Christensen 9:15 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

8 Comments:

At October 30, 2006 5:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its' sound's like you had a great time with your family. I spent the weekend with my boyfriend's mother,and sister ,but he was out of town ,but I still had fun. I would have loved that I like going around ,and seeing new places ,and learning the history of old building's ,and stuff like that. By the way loved the new poem keep um comming.

 
At October 30, 2006 8:01 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hello again, Hope
Girly night out, huh? Sounds fun! Love nights out like that!

 
At October 30, 2006 3:22 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Such a clever poem and again, I love the rhymes!

Sounds like a fabulous and relaxing weekend! What are ladybirds?

 
At October 30, 2006 3:27 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

(Mystery how my other comment got on the wrong post! Blogger defies me sometimes!

 
At October 30, 2006 3:46 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D The mysteries of the net...

Ladybirds are little red beatles with black spots on the back. This is one of the childhood rhymes we learnt:

Ladybird, Ladybird, fly away home-
Your house is on fire and your children have gone
All except one, and her name is Anne
And she crawled under the frying pan!

Wierdly, the ladybirds at the weekend were all different colours, and where I was sitting, with a view of the old mansion wall, I could see it was absolutely crawling with them. Every few minutes, one would fly into someone's face, or land on their clothes!

 
At October 30, 2006 5:32 pm, Blogger Mistress Regina said...

I couldn't help notice your comments during Kilroy's recent comment campaign. Your blog is interesting; your poetry is well written.

I'd like to invite you to visit and consider contributing to our writing consortium. We offer not only an opportunity to be published, but a unique writing challenge. I think you could do well.

I will look for word from you.

 
At October 31, 2006 2:37 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

They sound like our ladybugs. We've had tons of them over the past few years and they've been in our houses all winter!

 
At October 31, 2006 8:21 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

mistress regina- thanks for your visit! I took a look at your writing consortium yesterday - it's well written, and a great idea! Much as I'd like to write longer pieces, I'm finding pretty stretched at the mo But I'm flattered you considered me and I may well have more time later...

mother of invention- yes, I believe some do call them ladybugs! And there have indeed been zillions around the last couple of years - to do with the warming climate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home