Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

01 December 2006

My Toes

Ok, I'm not joking - today I'm going to write about my toes ("Crikey!" I hear you say, "Is this gal living in the real world?!" :-D ).

And, no, I didn't mean to say 'mitosis', and am not writing about dna, genes or anything more fascinating than a part of my body (or rather, ten little parts of my body!)... toes.

My toes.

Why toes? Because I was out walking the dogs today, and thinking of things I never think about. By that, I mean I said to myself "What don't you ever think about?" and into my head popped the words "my toes"...

Absolutely right, too! The only time I ever recognise their existence is when I have to (sorry about the imagery) cut my toenails! Or someone steps on them. Or one gets stubbed on a sticking up paving stone or something.










So, I decided to explore the idea a wee bit, and immediately a rhyming tongue-twister from my childhood popped into my head:


Moses supposes his toeses are posies of roses,
but Moses supposes erroneously,
for everyone knows his toeses aren't posies of roses
as Moses supposes his toeses to be!













Toes... so important to balance the body, to doing many kinds of atheletics. I couldn't imagine ballet dancers without them; sandals would look strange if the divisions between them didn't show; you notice the agony if you get an in-growing toenail; and the rhyme "This little piggy went to market..." just wouldn't be the same without them!












I came up with a silly thought-flow too... don't know if you could call it a poem, and it doesn't (for once!!! :-) ) rhyme... but it was what was going through my head as I walked...
.

Poem My Toes removed for publishing Aug 2017]




(Mother of Invention - these pictures show
how tiny the moon is when I take a night time shot
... which is why I don't. One day, when I get a zoom....)





.

© Annelisa Christensen 5:16 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

20 Comments:

At December 02, 2006 12:47 am, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Annelisa, indeed
not often do we think of toes
maybe if we have to tippy-toe
do you not paint your toe nails
barely time to cut them nails?

But so much we do take for granted
can one forget to breathe
can one forget to eat (for long)
can one forget to spend a penny or two

Yet often we forget to take a moment or two to take a look at the moon or check if we still have toes - or even to toe the line.

We are sometimes busy rushing around, even when all is mighty fine

 
At December 02, 2006 1:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good!!!

and your toeses loved all that goo?

 
At December 02, 2006 1:41 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Ah, but these moon pics are still neat!

Clever poem! "Only the Toes Knows!" "Wiggle away fears with your ears! or maybe "You catch the tears with your ears!"

Fun thoughts!
Glad you're back to fine form. have a great weekend!

 
At December 02, 2006 2:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

annelisa,
the you is the creator :),
the one who built that need to seek in us, and which never satisfies us till we reach that state.
I know, I should use capital letters, but somehow I dont.

 
At December 02, 2006 4:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I really like the toe's poem I think that its' very cool . Your right about that its' the one part of the body that we never think about .

 
At December 02, 2006 2:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh am so looking forward to the ears....I mean REALLY what would we do without our ears?

 
At December 02, 2006 3:01 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D , Q9!

Hardly ever paint the toe-nails
I cut 'em really quick
Don't need to think about breathing,
but didn't eat when I was sick
and I'm not telling about the pee-ing!!
Talking of that - back in a tick!

How do you have time to write these rhymes??!? :-D

Oh yes,Mystic - they do
They love the goo
and splashing it too!

MoI - fine form indeed
but I have to plead
that I'm still too queer
to think of the ear...

Hope you're having a good weekend yourself - I'm visiting my sister at the mo, and having a coffee break... we've been getting ready to put her christmas tree up :-)

Mystic - I did think it was that, but didn't like to assume, as it could've been another. We never reach that state, do we, where we are completely satisfied with all the answers?
Hope you're having a good weekend too!

 
At December 02, 2006 3:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toes deserve a special kind of attention! =) A few months ago, there's a really large swelling/cyst (okay, it's not that "big") on my left toe. It was agony trying to walk properly. The pressure on the cyst was really painful whenever I walk, so much so that I have to make an effort to lift my toe up while the other 4 "toes" stayed on the ground! It made my toe sore. And I can't do proper exercise either and the centre of gravity of my body was slightly affected too, lol!

Fortunately the cyst went away after like a couple of weeks and I can put my toe on the floor again! I don't know what caused it to appear too. But I'm glad that it's not longer there!

That is why we shouldn't take granted of our toes ;).

Ears are used to listen, at least they have a function.

 
At December 02, 2006 5:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the poem as always. And the mooning.

I like to wriggle my toes and step firmly on the floor.

Have a great weekend.

 
At December 02, 2006 7:15 pm, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Annelisa - lol!
I guess not having three or four kids to eat up my time, gives me a little more free time. They must be a handful on a good day, and a mindful on a bad hair day.

Something 'rewarding' about
having your plate full
and your hands full
even when one is not hungry -
guess you get to enjoy more treats

 
At December 03, 2006 12:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in one of those 'moments', briefly..:)

 
At December 03, 2006 8:06 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Eaugh, Frolicsome Kid - Did we have to hear that??? Glad it's ok now though! (Back to exercising again? :-)) I have to say, I've not had too much wrong with my toes (the worst is my big toe nail coming off after I kicked my cousin when we were about 12! :-D)

You can wiggle and waggle your ears too!

Hi Brian - or you could do the wriggling of toes in a thick-piled carpet? Mmmmmm :-) Hope you've had a good weekend!

Quasar, you're back again! :-)

My kids are really good kids (except when they're horrid! :-D)... they are rarely a handful. The worst I have to do is be taxi to them... and split up an odd fight or two :-) And they're a great excuse to bake chocolate flapjacks!

You've had a moment where you were satisfied with the answers, Mystic? Cool. I think I never will be (though sometimes I wish I would stop asking...and simply enjoy :-) (Those moments are rare)

 
At December 03, 2006 8:21 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Oh, Maryam - you must've been round at the same time as I was writing yesterday... didn't mean to ignore you! :-)

How's about you do the ear one, and see what you come up with!? :-D

 
At December 04, 2006 1:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how did you feel about the "big toe nail coming off" heehee ;)? Sorry if my description was a bit too graphic =P

I can't wiggle or waggle my ears! I wonder how some of my friends do it!

 
At December 04, 2006 7:53 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D You want graphic FK? I could tell you how my toenail went purple then black, about how it hung off a tiny bit of skin (which just wouldn't let go for days)until finally, I caught it on something - rip! blood everywhere...

But cysts? yuk! :-)

Don't worry, I can't wiggle or waggle my ears either. One of my kids can. All my kids can seperate all their toes apart between any two toes, and spread them out like a hand... but all i can do is make a dimple appear in my chin when I flare my nose (great party piece :-D (not!))

 
At December 04, 2006 6:31 pm, Blogger M. Shahin said...

Loved this "toes" poem :-) Very playful and brought a smile to my face.

 
At December 05, 2006 9:12 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D M.Shahin - Not sure if I was playing with with words or my toes here...

 
At February 04, 2007 9:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 04, 2007 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought your poem on toes was great.Toes can tell a lot about a person. Look at my story on toes and tell me what you think. Keep up the good writing.

 
At February 04, 2007 11:56 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw your name on this comment Mytoes - had a right little chuckle, I did :-)

Glad you liked the poem... I stopped by to read your toes 'story' - it was so moving. Although it doesn't seem a whole lot, what you are doing for your wife is something that can make her smile - and that's priceless!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home