Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

13 June 2007

Amazing things

Hiya everyone

Thank you all of you who's been wishing me well... It's definately working, and I'm about better now... though I've been left with this mysterious twitch in both eyes. Apart from that I'm not so bad at all, thanks!





There's two things I want to share with you today. The first is something which is a hot topic at work over the last couple of days...

I first notice the subject of this controversy on Monday. As I passed by one of the large Science block windows, I happened to look out across the road dividing science from English and Drama. There I spied something I had to do a double take on. It has to do with this very normal-looking rose bush:




It really is a very lovely rose bush, with perfectly formed roses of a beautiful rich colour (sorry, the pictures had to be taken in a hurry, as I was on the way somewhere at the time, and snapped them as I passed):









No, what it is that everyone is talking about is the tenacity of this plant. It is just a normal rose bush, but there is an unusal strength about it that is making people stop and stare.... Why?

Because, just look...



That beautiful rose has quietly and continuously, over the years (according to Tony, the caretaker) grown up inside the weather boards... all the way up to the top of the building, so it looks like someone has decorated the wall by hanging this crimson-splashed branch from the rooftop ( in fact, this is what I had at first thought!).

Of course, there are those who think only about the negative... "I've had to complain about that rose. The bush will have to be cut down - it's undermining the structure of the building, probably causing no end of damage..."

And then there's the rest of us, who think it's truly amazing that a stem in the darkness has spotted a chink of light right up at the highest reaches of the building, and kept growing and growing until it reached it, then it sent out leaves and flowers... to wow us:


It makes me think of how, when someone has a vision no-one else can see, they persevere with their growth towards it, until one day that vision blossoms into a reality.


I really hope they don't chop the flower down!





The second thing is this blog that my two walking companions and friends, Jazz and Sparky, found through their new friends Butchy and Snickers called The Adventures of Sir Chance-lot

The pictures his mom has done are very special. I can only show you a couple here... this one is of Butchy and Snickers themselves:



And this one I took off his post A Tribute to Dakoata:



But, though these pictures are great, to see some of Sir Chance-lot's mom's most excellent pics, take a look at his post Some Pictures My Momma Made! Some of them are really fantastic, and knowing how much you folks appreciate good pictures, I'd recommend you pop over there. I'm sure you won't be disappointed! :-)

© Annelisa Christensen 4:20 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

16 Comments:

At June 13, 2007 6:04 pm, Blogger Sir Chance-Lot said...

Wow, You made my mamma a little teary now,with your overly generous bragging about her pictures. I have to warn you, she is very easily "moved" (like all amateur artists) and you might just give her a headache,because her head is growing as we speak, if you know what I mean..and I am not sure she will be bearable to live with ..+ will she be bale to get out the door to take me to the woods?!

She told me to tell you "A thousand quiet thanks yous"
Tailwaggins and licks
Sir Chance-lot

 
At June 13, 2007 6:10 pm, Blogger Sir Chance-Lot said...

Ohoh...I guess I made a couple of Pawmistakes again..it is not that easy to fit my big golden paws on this keyboard..hehe
Correction: will she be able to get out the door, to take me to the woods!?

My Mamma told me to please visit her other web pages here:
www.myspace.com/hannehogberg
and
www.myspace.com/divineearth

she said that she thinks you and her have alot in common...not sure what she means, do you have blonde hair too?
Come back soon
"Sir"

 
At June 13, 2007 7:54 pm, Blogger Dan said...

I love roses Annelisa. In fact, my town Madison, NJ is called "The Rose City" because it had so many rose orchards in the past. Roses from Madison even made their way to the Queen of England's palace in those days.

 
At June 13, 2007 8:41 pm, Blogger Queenie said...

You could spend years trying to get a rose to do that and fail, leave it to mother nature and your sure to get results!!! Start a petition annelisa and put my name under yours, the roser's have rights its up to the likes of us to stick up for them!!!!!!!
Gosh those dogs are so sweet, I want one for Milo, by the way I saw him nip on the computer whilst I went to the loo, think he's left a message for your guys on my comments!!!

 
At June 13, 2007 9:35 pm, Blogger twilite said...

Hi Annelisa! Perceptive and great write. Loved your pics. Thanks for introducing me to your FD! woof woof!!

 
At June 14, 2007 12:20 am, Blogger Gledwood said...

dogs with the bird ... = really entertaining!!

 
At June 14, 2007 2:12 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You just can not let them cut down that bush! That is so rare and beautiful.

And those pics amaze me..must be a super zoom-in to get the droplets so large and clear.

 
At June 14, 2007 9:27 am, Blogger Akelamalu said...

Oh no, don't let them cut the rose down, it's worked so hard to get there and looks beautiful.

Those are truly remarkable photographs from Sir Chance-lot's mom.

About the twitch in the eyes - pretend you're winking! :)

Hope you're back to full health soon. I'm still sending Reiki to you and of course your dear friend. x

 
At June 14, 2007 11:32 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I´m one of those who think the roses are amazing! Cutting them down? NO WAY!

Love Sir Lancelot´s mama´s pictures, too. Great work. Thanks for sharing!

Big hugs and a little kiss :*

 
At June 14, 2007 12:17 pm, Blogger Katie McKenna said...

How beautiful! Hope you are doing better !

 
At June 14, 2007 1:39 pm, Blogger 依着随心 said...

thanks to your visiting to my blog,and make me to know your fantastic pic-blog.i dont think i would find it without your visiting.
your pics are so beautiful!i love them.
i think you're a skilled camerist,are you?

 
At June 14, 2007 4:27 pm, Blogger Sir Chance-Lot said...

Thank Thank you new friend. My mamma will take another virtual trip over to devian art today...can you belive she stumbled upon that very site this morning while she was looking for something completley unrelated, BEFORE she saw your post in my blog..what a strange coincident...you are serious thinking someone would pay money for her silly pictures?
licks
SCL

 
At June 15, 2007 1:49 am, Blogger krystyna said...

Thank you Annelisa!
Marvelous!

 
At June 15, 2007 2:43 am, Blogger GEWELS said...

The rose bush is amazing!!!!!

 
At June 16, 2007 6:13 am, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

How did the rose get up there? It's absolutely amazing how nature (or better yet, "inanimate" plants) surprises us. The rose up there reminds me of mistletoe and that was what I first thought. Absolutely beautiful! Don't cut it down! I don't see how it undermines the structure of the building.

A true, shining example of persevering of reaching the goal. Thank you for sharing! =)

By the way, those are very nice pictures of the dogs there! =P

 
At June 18, 2007 3:35 pm, Blogger mystic rose said...

wow.. that is so beautiful! amazingly so. and to think that try as we might we couldnt possibly get somethng like that to happen. lovely annelisa. theres something quite intensely emotional about this bush, the way it affects us i mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home