Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

05 September 2008

Signe Green 1929-2008



Mum

When I tried to think about how to describe mum, I thought about what made a person who they were, and it came down to several things – what they loved and hated, how they acted and how people felt about them.

In the summer Mum loved being outside in the garden, relaxed and content looking at the flowers, birds and butterflies, or tending it and making it lovely. She enjoyed walking in the forest or by the reservoir with the dogs and with the family. She also loved to spend time quietly reading, doing a jigsaw or a crossword puzzle, but always ready to drop whatever she was doing to chat to someone close by.

Almost as much as relaxing, mum liked working outside in the nursery, growing trees from cuttings and nurturing them to full-grown. Many a time we would drop by and she would be weeding or watering, or moving plants to a better position, and this is one of the strong images of her. I can see her just as clearly with the customers, laughing and chatting in that open way she did.

That was one of mum’s biggest charms. When she was with other people she truly shone. Her face would light up with that huge sunny smile of hers; her laugh would come readily and often. How many times did she ‘nip up the village’ for something, only to come back ages later, having met somebody or other she knew and just had to catch up with!

What other things did she love? Well, she loved exuberant colours. She dressed in them, and surrounded herself with bright splashes of colour in the garden. She loved a glass of wine with good food and a gathering of friends and family. She would always be right there in the centre of things laughing and talking and saying a periodic ‘Skol!’ or ‘Cheers!’ And if people sung, she would be right in there joining in, whether she knew the words or not. She loved to hear people singing.

She loved to travel and see new things, be new places, and would be full of interesting descriptions of her recent holiday destination. When dad was alive, they took their annual holiday trekking round Europe in their big, converted orange van – Two Tonne Tessie, visiting family and friends along the way. These holidays were something special, no holiday now can live up to, and something we children will always value from our childhood!

There wasn’t much mum hated. She certainly didn’t like filling in forms very much, and didn’t like injustice, people doing wrong by others. She was fair, open-minded, honest and kind; considered everyone else in the same generous light, and usually quickly forgave.

Many people associate mum with the strawberry fields during fruit-picking season, or as the night Sister in a local nursing home. Others will think of her busily running her conifer nursery. But whatever the image of her, many will think of her as being a big part of the village.

I will fondly remember evenings with mum knitting, making rugs or doing one of numerous other crafts with dad. I’ll remember her delicious Chelsea buns, or Danish pastries, or trays of sandwiches she’d make for a picnic in the summer, or bring into the living room on a Saturday evening. I’ll remember her lit up and animated whenever she talked to anyone, with her huge smile always close by. I’ll remember her affectionate and caring nature, how readily she would give you a hug, and how her hand was always there to hold when you needed it.

She was one very special person.



© Annelisa Christensen 9:24 am

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

24 Comments:

At September 05, 2008 12:07 pm, Blogger Akelamalu said...

Oh my dear Annelisa I am so sorry for your loss. However, you have such wonderful memories of your Mum, and of course she will always be with you. Your Mum's casket is just so beautiful, I cried when I look at the photograph. I am sending Reiki to your mum for her journey to the beautiful place and to you to ease your heartache at missing her. You know where I am my lovely if you want to talk, just email me. xxxx

 
At September 05, 2008 1:20 pm, Blogger bulletholes said...

Sometimes i know what to say and sometimes I don't so lets just leave it at I love you annelisa.

 
At September 05, 2008 6:26 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Oh, Annelisa, I am so sorry you have lost your mum, but I am glad you have such wonderful memories and chose to share them with us here. It is easy to see how wonderful she was. I wish I had met her for a cuppa with you and maybe even a few of her buns and sweets!
I can so see you in her, both looks and spirit.

We have missed you so much and I know you were too busy with taking care of your mum. She deserved every last minute you could give her.

Thanks for your comment on my posts. Write me anytime. I'm here for ya.

 
At September 05, 2008 8:39 pm, Blogger TopChamp said...

Hello Annelisa - Sorry to hear of your loss. This is such a touching post. Your mum looks so happy in that photo and your memories of her are to be treasured - she sounds such an interesting lady. I am glad that you had such a relationship with her.

 
At September 05, 2008 8:41 pm, Blogger TopChamp said...

lots of such-es... should have picked a better word (or ommitted them). You'll get the sentiment anyway... Are you doing ok?

 
At September 06, 2008 12:49 am, Blogger G-Man said...

(((((HUGS))))) To You...
Thank You so much for visiting my post today..
Perhaps you would like to play?
Galen

 
At September 08, 2008 7:03 pm, Blogger soubriquet said...

I hope somewhere she is able to read the words you have written.

People live on in us, in the persons they helped create, I find myself doing something and laugh, because it reminds me of my dad doing the same thing.. So every time it happens, for a moment, he lives again.
As your mother does, every time you think of her, talk of her, remember her words, her laugh, her touch.
Did she teach you to love the sky, the woods, the seasons?
She's not gone, she's with you forever.

 
At September 09, 2008 1:37 am, Blogger krystyna said...

Hi Annelisa!

Your Dear Mom now has found Peace.
What a nice tribute, Annalisa.

My condolences to you.

"death is just an illusion,
love is indestructible"


Take care,
I'm with you!

 
At September 10, 2008 3:22 am, Blogger Pauline said...

Such a lovely tribute always speak of her and keep those beautiful memories alive for then she is with you always. Prayers for you at this time for comfort and acceptance.

 
At September 12, 2008 11:05 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Time to move on now

 
At September 28, 2008 4:57 am, Blogger red dirt girl said...

hi sweetheart.

i've missed you much.
so much sorrow.
so much beauty.
so much life.
so much ends.

reaching a hand over the ocean.
can i just sit quietly and listen for a while?

xxx
rdg
(now morphed into a mule)

 
At October 07, 2008 2:23 pm, Blogger Pauline said...

:) thinking of you today hoping that you experience peace...for I understand the search...

 
At October 12, 2008 6:24 am, Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Oh Annelisa....

 
At October 13, 2008 6:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Annelisa,I really liked your beautiful words for your mother...She looks like a very sweet and happy woman.Peace be with you in this time..."There is nothing as special then a mother and daughters Love and friendship!!!!She wants you to be happy in your memories with her...All mothers want only happiness for there daughters and vice versa/Gods speed to you,Dana..

 
At October 15, 2008 7:47 am, Blogger Queenie said...

Hi darling, just getting back on my feet so popped over to see how your doing. I am so grateful to your mum for giving us you, wish I could have met her in person. Nevertheless I'm grateful I have known her through you, and I wish her peace and comfort.
Hope to hear how your doing soon babe. XXX

 
At November 07, 2008 1:31 am, Blogger Pauline said...

Time is surposed to heal but how much time is an individual process. Hoping you are in the process of grasping life and living the time we are allotted for ourselves. Big hug!

 
At November 11, 2008 12:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Annelisa -

I do not know you. I am a poet, and I was surfing the net in search of other poets.

I came across youe site, and was very moved by yor post regarding your mother. I am so very sorry for your loss, and I wish you peace and comfort -- and many warm memoris of your mum.

She sounds like she was a wonderful person, and certainly loved by you. I never knew my birth mother, but a very dear freind lost her mother a number of years ago -- and I felt her deep sorrow.

I wrote this poem for her, and would like to share it with you, if you wish to read it. The link follows here:
For Mother

With warm regards...
...Rob

 
At November 11, 2008 4:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

((((((annelisa))))))

I am so sorry. I had no idea since I have been MIA, so to speak.

Annelisa you have written a wonderful tribute to your mother and she will always live in your heart as long as you recall those special memories.

May G-d spare you any further sorrow and may He give you strength and peace through your grief

with love and best wishes

ann xxxxxx

 
At December 19, 2008 12:04 am, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

And what would Jesus say or Do?
Well Jesus was pretty human

changing water into wine? well who wouldn't if they could. Everybody likes to provide good wine at a party, and every host wants their guests to be merry. If all else fails resort to home-brew

Losing your temper with money lenders? Well everyone likes money for nothing, but who likes to pay interest (especially high interest)

But would Jesus be like Jim Morrison or any other pop idol or rock'n'roll star - in other words get laid as often as he could ...
well there is always the story of Jesus and the prostitute

But hell in biblical terms, I guess most if not all women in the 21st century are prostitutes

After all our mothers may come from a generation where our dad is the only man they've ever been to bed with ...
but I think that is more a rarety between women of your and mine generation

at least in the so called 'civilized' world or economically advanced first world. Not withstanding that rape and/or early widowhood is still very much commonhood in the troubled spots of the so called third world too.

But what would Jesus do?
Turning the other cheek
is and always been the hardest thing to do

Not following the desires of the flesh is and always has been the hardest thing to do

Aaaah Love - that thorny bush
the more intense the love, the more intense the hurt when it is lost. The more intense the pleasure the deeper the pain when the 'drug' is removed.

But inner stillness?
who can achieve that? Buddha?

Better to have loved and die, than never to have loved at all
Better to live and die, than never to have lived at all

And when there's nothing left to fight for, nothing left to die for
No belief or desire to sacrifice oneself for ...
then what is there left to live for

There is only one thing for sure - Death.
And anything we may imagine today we cannot live without, we can be sure one day we'll have to do without. Letting go can be so hard, yet even LOVE & LIFE or LOVE of LIFE we must one day let go of

 
At January 15, 2009 2:31 am, Blogger krystyna said...

I wish you, dear Annelisa
Happy and Prosperous New 2009 Year!

Love & hugsss

 
At January 31, 2009 10:31 am, Blogger Akelamalu said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. x

 
At February 15, 2009 2:47 pm, Blogger Katie McKenna said...

I think of you often!

 
At March 19, 2009 4:14 pm, Blogger starbender said...

I'm back after a very long rest, and I read this! Hon, I am truly sorry for your loss. It is very hard to lose a parent. I lost my father, and even though it has been 10 yrs, I miss him with all my heart.

come visit me....

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
~☼♥ Starbender ♥☼~
http://wackocrazy.blogspot.com/

 
At March 27, 2009 3:24 pm, Blogger A Arora said...

u've been through a lot...way too much...just hang on there..just hang on..it requires great courage to do that..its not easy to deal with sorrow..but the seasons will change..and ur mom is proud of u..resting peacefully, knowing she has a strong daughter like u...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home