Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

06 December 2006

How weird am I?

.


Thanks Madd!

I've never been tagged before, and you get me on one that I'm supposed to say how odd I am!

Well, when I first read the tag ('to tell six weird things about yourself') my first thought was 'OMG! I'm so normal, I might be every other person on the planet!'

The fact that I couldn't think of one other person like me should've alerted me to reality! :-( It was left to my sweet, darling, wonderful children to point out to me all my little habits and behaviours that 'aren't completely normal', as they so delicately put it!

So, yes, I had a childhood unlike any of my friends (or peers), and my teenage years were just slightly deviated from the flow, oh and my Uni days... oh dear, I'd better not touch on those...

Ok, there's more weirdness to me than I would like to admit... So, where I thought I was going to have difficulty, I have in fact had to narrow it down, or I would indeed be here all night (it's already 1am!).


So, here are my six:





1) I'm obsessive about recycling. I'm so bad it's embarrassing! If someone chucks an apple core or banana skin in the bin, I'll pick it out and put it in the composting receptacle. Likewise, tins, bottles, jars, paper - nothing goes in the bin unless I know I wouldn't be able recycle it. I'm betting my workmates and the teachers in the staffroom have noticed my hovering round the bin, and [when I think no-one's looking] sneaking out the fruit and vegetable waste and put it in the composting tub right next to it!!! [Why doesn't anyone use the composting bin, I want to know! :-) ]

2) I take pictures of sticks and clouds! I've even been known to stop the car in the middle of the road (I do check!) and snap a shot!

3) I have a penchant for 'Bombay Mix'. I don't just have a little handfull, or even a small bowl full. I can quite happily eat a kilogram bag nearly all by myself in an evening! Oh, and talking of eating habits, I prefer unripe fruit to ripe (green strawberries and plums) , cooking apples to eating apples, and the thing I love most in the world is salty liquorice [we used to get sent some every Christmas by our aunt and uncle in Denmark - a yearly treat - and now I'm addicted.] My friends all thought I was weird liking this, but I reckon it's perfectly normal in Denmark...





4) I'm going bald out of choice (kids pointed this one out to me) though I maintain I'm doing this for a good cause, so it doesn't count.

5) I was still building camps (some really good ones!) at 16 yrs with my friend, even though all other girls of our age were into boys, make-up, fashion... We had some brill camps though - one made of those huge apple boxes, where we wrote poems and spells on the walls and passages, with a center room we kept all our stolen goods (including a mattress, which I still have no idea where we got :-S ) . Another we build a Robin Hood - type village, and walked round a tree stump, hitting it with a stick and saying 'Ommmmm, Ommmmm' [ok, ok, enough of this one...]

(Blimey, should I continue, or really throw myself to the wolves with the last one?!)

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound....

6) Unlike Madd, who has proclaimed herself super-tidy, I am the absolute opposite. I have carrier bags full of papers, bits picked up from the floors, single socks, things that should be chucked out.... etc.
One of the very worst things I do (no, really, I shouldn't admit this...) is...
[oh yuk!] to watch mould grow. Ok, now it's out, I'd better explain. If something happens to go off in the fridge, or in the fruit bowl, I haven't always chucked it out straight away. I recognise I should, and if it's something that could be harmful I will, but if it's like a mouldy tomato, or plum or something, I kinda like watching the mould grow.
If you're thinking, 'Eugh! That's disgusting!' Well, I guess it is. But I do relegate it to the outside world... In the back garden I have a broken fridge that should have been taken to the dump last year, but I just haven't got round to it. So, if there's a particularly colourful mould, I'll put it in this outside fridge (hasn't got any food in it) - Admitedly do this for one of my sons, who loves this, and grows his own mould-gardens occassionally!





Ok, so now I feel weird!

I was going to post a kiddie rhyme tonight, but I think I'll leave it until tomorrow now I'm grossed out already... :-D






Oh, I forgot, I should tag 6 other people!

Shame Red Dirt Girl's taking a break, and M. Shahin... so maybe I'll tag these people :

  1. Mother of Invention
  2. Mystic Rose
  3. The Frolicsome Kid
  4. Steve
  5. Maryan of Marrakesh
  6. Topchamp
(Hope you guys aren't too 'normal' - though doing this made me realise we're all less normal than we think we are!)





So, guess I'd better give chase, before I drop off again....

.

© Annelisa Christensen 12:37 am

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

23 Comments:

At December 06, 2006 3:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would be prone to compulsive recycling too, if it wasn't due to the fact that there isn't any official recycling plants in my country. So I just toss everything into the bin!

Hey, I'm just curious, but for what cause are you going bald? And how are you doing it, do you snip off all your hair at once, or do they inject some sort of genes into you? Lol! I hope you don't mind me asking that =)

I am starting to picture you with a 16 years old face going "Ommm Ommmm" and knocking on the stump with a stick. Heeheehee.

Growing moulds is interesting, although disgusting. But it's not sooo disgusting anyway.

And thanks so much for tagging me! I already have thought up of a weird habit of mine already! I definitely am weird =D

 
At December 06, 2006 4:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey don't feel bad I conseder you to be very nermal. I also got tagged today by the same one boy was I scerad about that one I just posted the one's that where not' so far out there ,and when I was reading you list of wired thing's it hit me that we are a lot alike in so many way's that's really wired ,but its' wired in a good way.

 
At December 06, 2006 5:20 am, Blogger madd said...

Annelisa..this was great!!! and I do't think of you as weird at all..just exclusively you..! thanks for doing it and sharing..ok now I will amit..the mold thing was really into that and I too would let things grow..I esp liked when it got 'furry'lol..yup no wonder we are friends..!..:)I am glad you taged Frolicsome..I am looking forward to his replys..he is a sweet smart and funny kid..take care..m

 
At December 06, 2006 9:03 am, Blogger Justin said...

hey, thanx for checking the post..you 've given some useful information which i missed out..


take care
bye.

 
At December 06, 2006 2:03 pm, Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Annelisa - I think that the recycling is such, such a fabulous trait! Could that one be contagious (hope, hope). Now the mold sounds a bit hazardous for the health but the spells and circling of trees are enchanting and I would expect nothing less of you!

I have already done this meme. Come check it out here http://moroccanmaryam.typepad.com/my_marrakesh/2006/10/i_have_been_tag.html#comments

I hear I am very, very weird.

 
At December 06, 2006 2:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mold huh?

It's very interesting translating your words into American English, but I think I got most of them.

Hope you are having a great day rummaging around in the waste bins.

We call that dumpster diving over here. Great Fun!

 
At December 06, 2006 2:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:))) u made me laugh.

not so weird ont he recycling bit..wish everyone was like that.

thos pics are good! and im gald u do that..take time to capture the beauty around you..its easy to get lost in the most 'ordinary thing'

and the camp and robin hood :))
16 years is a bit odd..but ive done that, had secret clubs with my cousins.

and LOL..bombay mix????? even i dont eat it that much. but i like it with hot tea. so u r a salty and spicy snack kind og gal.


would u believe it? i actually did this tag a few months ago when..um..u know. but just for you, i will do it again :)) although i wont be able to tag six in turn.

 
At December 06, 2006 2:37 pm, Blogger bulletholes said...

There is an Artist that uses Leaves and twigs and Iceicles and rocks to do these really cool pieces and then Photographs them... I have seen a few programs about him.... he is extraordinary. i wish i could call his name because you would dig him entirely.Maybe one of your pals hhere knows who I an speaking of. By the way, I like to check on the progeress of mould as well... its not weird; its Science!

 
At December 06, 2006 3:01 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Re: recycling - you'd be surprised how many people still can't be bothered to chuck waste paper in the waste paper bin next to the dustbin; and although we have a compost heap at school, I have to resist hard to pick it out of the classroom dustbins in front of the kids. Today, someone had chucked a half-eaten carrot down in the corridor just outside the staffroom. I resisted it on 3 passes (there gets to be a lot of litter, and you just can't pick all of it up, or you wouldn't get round to the job being employed for!), but on the 4th did a stoop and scoop :-D

Hey, FK - you haven't noticed my 'profile', or my other blog yet? I'm shaving my hair off in exactly 2 weeks today, in aid of Cancer Research UK - 'cos my friend's on her second chemotherapy, and has lost all her hair..

(Don't try to imagine too hard - you might just get an accurate picture of my tree climbing, camp-building youth! And I didn't even tell you the really embarrassing stuff!! :-D

Can't wait to see how weird you are!

 
At December 06, 2006 3:44 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

...or RDG, you got all my other socks!! :-)

Hey Hope - w(e)ired together? I reckon this might be so... I wonder how many people have the same weird habits and things they like, and just don't talk about it..., so you'd never know unless all is revealed like this :-D

YOu like mould too, Madd? Blimey, a fungus-fellowship?

:-D - Oh, I don't know, Justin. Think you more or less had everything covered! :-) Your furry friends will know how they should behave now!

 
At December 06, 2006 4:17 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Do you do 'dumpster diving' then Brian?

Yeah, I keep wondering about the language, whether I should make it less colloquial, but decided to write as I speak, and people can ask if they don't know what something is...

Hi Rose, so you've already done this weird thing? Oh well, I'll let you off the tagging then...it's hard to find so many people to do it twice!

16 years - I was a late developer (I had a bit of the Peter Pan, not wanting to grow up thing, and luckily so did my friend :-) )

and Bombay mix - my downfall! I might do really well on a keeping the weight off, then comes bombay mix :-( (and yes, I do buy it - just can't help myself! :-D )

When you remember the artist, Steve, let me know, and I'll look him up. lol Can't believe how many people like mould! :-D

 
At December 06, 2006 5:48 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You don't seem too weird to me but maybe that's because I consider myself weird! I did it today and put it up for tomorrow or later tonight.

I used to build snowforts and forts with blankets over upturned picnic tables . We slept out in that one! I am also a pack rat and not too tidy!

Sometime, try to direct me to the instructions on how you put links into posts. Not that I'll be able to follow them!

 
At December 06, 2006 6:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh..no, im gonna do it..it will be fun!

 
At December 06, 2006 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

apocalyptica..i dont know if u will find nothing else matters but thats one song thats just great..

its playing on frothy waters..the original by metallica. check it out :)

 
At December 06, 2006 6:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all the different words for things, it makes me think of the context of the post.

I haven't dumpster dived since I was a kid. That was more Bernard's thing.

 
At December 06, 2006 7:52 pm, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hmmmm six weird things, eh?

1) I'm an environmentalist who is useless at recycling
2) I'm an environmentalist who still knows the thrill of burning rubber and pedal to the metal
3) I'm an environmentalist who loves offroaders (4x4s) if only we could get the power from cleaner fuels
4) I'm an environmentalist who things cheap air travel is a god send - bad enough being strapped in for 2hours in short haul flights, but train journeys still take much longer & cost a lot more.
5) I'm an environmentalist who is ambivalent about nuclear power, after all if it is ok to use radiation to aggressively treat certain cancers, where's the harm in nuclear energy (electricity)
6) I'm an environmentalist passionate about nature and the environment. No I won't tie myself to a tree to stop a by-pass, or housing development or new runway. But I would like to be on the planning committe which insists every development be as aesthetic as is 'humanly' possible ...

And if you still haven't gone off me, maybe you'll show me how to recycle and compost (I support and defend allotments) - and I'll show you how to stash away all the paper and loose odds & ends, and socks into a 'neat' shelf, cupboard or in a "treasure chest"

 
At December 06, 2006 11:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I like about blogging is how nice people are - there are even people here pretending that they do the mould thing so you feel normal!

Either that or:

What I like about blogging is how weird people are - there are even people who watch mould grow for fun!

Have done mine - It was a slow start but once I got going it was hard to stop. Fun though.

 
At December 07, 2006 12:16 am, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Ok - I've been trying to figure out more odd things about me ...

1) I never married, is that odd enough in a world where it seems people marry two, three or even more times?
2) I love my own space so much, I don't let people fill or clutter it. Is that odd enough when most people's lives are ruled by the demands on their time from children, paerners, lovers, family, friends, work colleagues
3) I lived with the Aruaco indians in a nature reserve between Colombia & venezuela for several months. With a machette cut sugar cane, squeezed & heated the juice, into a thick syrup, let it go cold and set into 'panela' or raw sugar.
Spent most of the time almost 'incomunicado' riding a gorse from settlement to settlement few spoke anything other than their native tongue. No electric lights meant I developed night vision - and spent my night looking at the stars with the Mamu, the tribes shamman & grandaddy.
I promised to return one day and plant olive trees. I've yet to keep my promise!
4) Love trekking spent several months riding camels (dromedaries) in southern Tunisia planting date palms, tomatoe plants and melons.
5) Pretty handt at DIY - but don't often have the time or tools handy to really get into my designs
6) I like to go around throwing seeds - yep, that's right throwing, not sowing or planting. I'll take handfulls of seed - whether grain or fruit seed - and just scatter it thousands of miles away. Just for fun

And 6a - i love fungi. We once went camping with an expert high in the mountains. Apart from rotating daily trips into town for our daily bread, and goats cheese from the local shepherd - we lived off mushrooms
(of course we had eggs & olive oil to make mushroom omelettes) - and even though he was an expert and we all trusted him, we would all let him eat first. lol!

 
At December 07, 2006 12:47 am, Blogger Katie McKenna said...

Very interesting! I recycle too - everything! ;) Thanks for sharing!

 
At December 07, 2006 5:30 pm, Blogger bulletholes said...

All done!!! That was fun!!! If i figure out the Artist/Scultor guy, i will let you know...
I read somewhere that people aren't normal..numbers are normal... people are typical...I don't disagree.

 
At December 08, 2006 2:10 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Good on you, Katie! If everyone recycled, then they would have to build more places to actually take our waste, and then there would be less transporting it around, wasting fuel etc...

Good stuff Steve - you have some idiosyncracies that are great!

 
At December 08, 2006 2:24 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Because there were two posts left by you, Quasar9,which both had so much in them, I left them to answer later... and later... :-)

I don't know, the very fact you're an enviromentalist, however loosely, goes down well with me!

You'd never manage to teach me how to stash things on a 'neat' shelf - my house isn't big enough to have one!! :-D

You sound like you've had a lot of interesting and fun times on your travels... I envy that. All the time, since I was 18 and wanted to do a gap year, but was persuaded to go onto further education, I've dreamt about travelling, but have only ever managed small nibbles. There's one thing, then another...

In about 8 to 10 years time, my youngest will be old enough to be totally independent... hopefully I'll be able to do more then. Unfortunately cash flow, and school holiday restrictions prevents me doing so much before then... but maybe I'll plan out a huge itinery to be broken! :-)

 
At December 08, 2006 2:27 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D You reckon people were just being nice, saying they grow mould (or like to watch it grow) too?!

Wouldn't surprise me - there's lots of lovely bloggers here!

But, just maybe they're as weird as me! :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home