Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

23 February 2007

Something's brewing....

.
...and it isn't a pot of tea...

...nor is it more illness! (Boy, have I had enough of that!)

...nor a storm (as moody as the first cloud pic is)


What's brewing is... I'm hoping to do something I've wanted to do since I was ten years old, and wrote a story about Clarabelle the goat, who butted everybody over (particularly memorable for me, if not for everyone else, was her driving her horns through a sheet hanging on the washing line, into Mrs Batty... it amused me anyhow! :-D )






Yes, those of you who I've talked to about this might get an inkling of what I'm talking about. That Frolicsome Kid, and Mimi have already accomplished it...







(...and... This must not be mentioned at work, those who might be reading that know me...)







... I want to finally write a novel... no matter how crappy. No matter how bad the plot/ the characters/ the dialogue... just to write one from beginning to end! The NaNoWriMo is usually in November, but I missed the boat getting into it then, because I only started blogging in October, and by the time I'd discovered this wonderful idea existed, it was already part-way into November, and everyone was under way. I wasn't brave enough to start it part way in!






Ever since I started blogging, more or less, I've been visiting Farris at his blog Freeform Fresno. He captured me with his first blog, with his stories about his young son, and the family's move to Fresno, California. He also has a 'speaking' blog called Freethought Fresno- worth listening to (Hey, why haven't I done a couple of lines in my Heroines and Heroes for him?!!! I really don't know... but I will! :-S )






Anyhow, not so long ago, Farris declared he was 'ramping up' and 'training' to do a personal NaNoWriMo in March... I've got Chris Baty's (one of the original instigators of the idea of the National Novel Writing Month) book on it now, and having read it, it's taken away one thing that's been holding me back all these years - fear of failure!

I've feared failing to make a story interesting, of the plot being rubbish/ non-existent, of the characters being 'flat', even of not finishing... oh, all sorts of things. And, though I've started many a story, they sit, neglected and rejected in drawers, bags, suitcases... a fire-hazard spread throughout the house!






This is something dear to me. Something I just have to do. So, come March 1st, I'm going to take the plunge, and do it (hopefully with Farris as my writing 'partner', to 'egg' each other on), and I hope, though I won't be posting everyday (and in fact might just put some photos up, if I'm all worded-out) that you might still visit and offer me words of support/ encouragement (or howls of mad laughter if I'm flagging :-) ). I'll post my word-count, so you can have a laugh! And I will sincerely try not to neglect you (my friends) and become totally anti-social. I consider you essential to my ongoing sanity!! :-D





But, first I've got some planning to do... there's only a few days left in February... and I've got a whole book to write in just over a month's time!! Yoikes! How did you do it, Mimi and Fk??!!






(By the way - all these photos were taken on one day - today! There were more , with bright sunshine, but I figured 'enough's enough' for now - British weather is so amazingly changeable! Sorry I haven't cropped off the bits of roof etc jutting into the pics- I couldn't start up my photo-cropping program :-) )


.

© Annelisa Christensen 12:13 am

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

24 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 2:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea and I have to say that with all your talent with stories and poems, writing a novel should be a breeze. :)

Good luck and if you need anything from me, I'll do my best to goad you on.

 
At February 23, 2007 4:34 pm, Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Yes, yes, yes! Do this. You owe it to yourself and the rest of us (she selfishly said) who want to read your work.

Mims

 
At February 23, 2007 4:36 pm, Blogger Akelamalu said...

You go for it girl! I look forward to reading the end result.

Just one question - how do you take such fabulous photos?

 
At February 23, 2007 10:58 pm, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Annelisa, Can't wait
Chapter by Chapter, Verse by Verse
And each pic a thousand word speaks

No rainbows in the sky here today, but closer to the ground great to see the spring blossoming, and overhead filling the cheery trees

 
At February 23, 2007 11:16 pm, Blogger TopChamp said...

having comments trouble but I'll race to say:

Good luck!

 
At February 24, 2007 2:07 am, Blogger krystyna said...

I am sooo happy reading this post. Great idea Annelisa!
Good luck!!!

 
At February 24, 2007 3:47 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Well, that rainbow is telling you to get started and it will bring you luck! You'll do an amazing job and you certainly have o trouble with dialogue!!!!

 
At February 24, 2007 1:47 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks everyone for their words of support. I think I'm having a mad moment... it'll pass :-D

Oh, you sweet talker, you, Brian - such nice things you say!! I may well need the goading... apparently the second week's the hardest... I'll call on you :-)

Mimi - I just have to ask you - how did you do it? It's scarey just thinking about it!

I don't know whether anyone's going to get to read it... it's going to be a pile of s**t - according to Chris Batty - but that's alright, because it's supposed to be!! We'll see...

Thanks Akelamalu - reckon I will!

As I keep saying... the photos are there to take... and I just happen to have my camera :-)

We've got the cherry blossoms too, Quasar - I only noticed them for the first time yesterday! Lovely, aren't they!

I'm not going to be putting anything chapter and verse... not just because I'm a coward, but because, whenever I've ever told anyone what I'm writing, I come to a full-stop... a complete full-stop. And I never get going on the same story again... :-( [this is what a lot of my bags of stories are full of!].

This time, I'm going to keep it under my hat until the end of the month, then decide whether it's the most rubbish bit of writing in the world, or whether I dare to let other people decide :-)

Thanks Topchamp! I'll need all the luck I can get (just to make time, if nothing else...) :-)

You're so sweet, Krystyna - you've probably got more enthusiasm for this than me just now... Thaks!

I'm really nervous I'm going to just sit looking at a blank screen for the next month! :-S

Wanna bet, MOI?! I'm trying to be positive, but there's a lot of niggles coming up... but I'm going to do it, whatever...

Kids are behind me (well, they've been warned, anyhow :-D )- so that's the main thing.

They know what this means to me (probably won't be so happy about it half way through the month, when I'm tearing my hair out, having killed off all the characters, and am trying to decide whether they should all come back as zombies or ghosts!! :-D )

 
At February 24, 2007 5:13 pm, Blogger Queenie said...

You must, first vist and i'm hooked.

 
At February 24, 2007 7:53 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks Queenie!

Hope you had a good meal - sounds like it will be fun! :-)

 
At February 24, 2007 9:36 pm, Blogger Farris Thorne said...

Hi Annelisa--

Yes, yes, I'm going to do this. Beginning March 1, too. And the only reason I'd lopped off the 31st was to match the period of time in the "official" November NaNoWriMo... you know, "November hath 30 days" and all that...

Consider me egging you on, and yes, I'll be a pest about your word count. Good luck to both of us! ft

 
At February 24, 2007 9:47 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Aha - see, that's where Chris Batty disagreed, Farris - he said the imagination likes dramatics, so to end at the end of the month... :-D

But, I'll go with what you decide, so we can be neck 'n' neck...

And, believe me, I'll be egging you on too! :-) And I'll say good luck to us too!

 
At February 25, 2007 1:05 pm, Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

How fantastic! I never knew you wanted to do this! I, too, want to write a book. ~sigh.

 
At February 25, 2007 6:48 pm, Blogger Katie McKenna said...

You can do this!!!

Love the lofty clouds and rainbows - thank you!

 
At February 26, 2007 2:23 pm, Blogger Farris Thorne said...

My idea is here, my chcaracters on their way to being fully sketched, and my keyboard is about to be smoking. The brain is engaged, and I'm ready to go...

And now, the countdown... three days until liftoff! ft

 
At February 26, 2007 4:13 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Well, Maryam, maybe you could join Farris and I in this crazy adventure?! :-D

 
At February 26, 2007 4:15 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks, Katie - I'm glad you have confidence, I'm still trying to come up with an idea, let alone a full-blown book!!!
[Mind you, I'm a wordy so-and-so, so maybe I'll just talk about nothing...]

 
At February 26, 2007 4:20 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Ha ha, Farris - this is what you call 'egging me on'??? I'm about to crawl back under the nearest stone and wonder why I ever thought it a good idea!! :-D

Seriously, though, there's only 3 days (?? hang on a minute, it's the 26th today, isn't it? So, there's 2 full days and then we're away... dang! That's not long to come up with a novel! :-S )and I'm still trying to sift through some of my old ideas to see if there were any I didn't even start... you never know...

But, hey! Once I start, you won't see me for the flames coming off the tips of my fingers!!! :-)

 
At February 27, 2007 4:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an awesome idea AE girlfriend!!!!!! I'll be cheering you on!!!!!!!! I've no poems in me noggin' either right now........down to one more in the hopper......then????? oh well......the words will come when they come......

love ya'
rdkitty

 
At February 27, 2007 8:22 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks, Kitty girlfriend! Since last night, the ideas have been beginning to come... so, now I can't wait to write the novel-of-my-life!

I know what you mean about the poems running out... I've only got a couple of monster ones left, then I'm on my own... still, at least I have come up with some new ones since blogging, so it's not all bad! Yours will come too (should have lots of fodder at the moment :-S )

Catch you soon!

 
At February 27, 2007 2:15 pm, Blogger Farris Thorne said...

Hi Annalisa --

I've parked a page at FreeForm Fresno for tracking my NaNoWriMo progress... consider it a dedicated board for egging on and tracking keyboard smoke. It's here.

Tick, tock, tick, tock... the onslaught is about to begin! ft

 
At February 28, 2007 3:07 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Ok, got the link, Farris - I start the day earlier than you, don't I? But, then, I end earlier too...

At this point, I guess the beginning's the most important thing... I'm on tenterhooks, ready to go...

 
At March 12, 2007 7:00 am, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

OH MY GOSH! YOU REALLY ARE WRITING! YOU GO, ANNELISA! YOU ROCK! WOOOT! =D

Just keep writing, writing, writing... (loop infinite times).

I got to ask you the question: How did you do it? =O You know, I haven't been writing properly until the last week of November when I just churned out 8000 words a day (it was insane, I tell you!) and...

I did not know myself anymore. Lol! I lived NaNoWriMo, I breathed NaNoWriMo, I ate NaNoWriMo, I slept NaNoWriMo...

(I'm not trying to scare you or anything. =P)

This is wonderful news to hear! I will be rooting for you all the way to the finish line. Half of March is nearly gone, and you're over half of the required works, i.e. you're doing great! =D Keep writing! Don't stop (like I did; thankfully I picked it up again. =D) for even a day!

I think you will wonder about this, but whatever had happened to Kinderella? Unfortunately, nearing the end of 50k words, the plot was "kind of wrong and very crappily done"! So that's the later chapters aren't hosted up at my blog. Until they are cleaned up, it will remain in my hard drive, and that wouldn't happen until...

End of the year? =S

Hopefully it will be done by then. =)

All the best to you, and remember, don't look back! Move on, and on... and on...

The pictures are very appropriate for your blog post which marks the beautiful beginning of your novel-writing. =)

P.S. Are you going to upload your story online? And hahaha, Clarabelle the Goat is a funny name who does really funny things, LOL! =D

 
At March 18, 2007 3:26 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hi FK - sorry it's been so long between you writing this and now... it's such a hard, hard slog writing every day, isn't it? (oh, you don't know, because that wasn't what you did! :-) ) but, I think it's much easier to do it like that than one huge dollop at the end... I suspect I wouldn't have the time to do it your way, anyhow... I have to grab a little bit of time every day! But, as you say, I'm getting there!

Ah, yes, I did wonder about Kinderella... I never did finish it - always so much on your posts to read, so I read those instead! :-)

I hope you do go back to it when you've finished slogging away at your studies, but the very fact you did it was amazing. I really 'take my hat off to you' - it's not so many that achieve the 50000, but even less of your age - well done you!

I'll only post my story online when I'm finished, and if it has an ending (my major problem with writing!) It's been posted already, but the blog's in 'private' mode, so no-one can see it unless I achieve my two goals! :-D

I'll have you know, Clarabelle the Goat was my big heroine - I could make her do anything!! (and she did! :-D )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home