Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

13 February 2007

So much catching up to do...

...after just one weekend not blogging!

(Go towards the end of the post if you're just after pictures :-) )

It's quite incredible... This weekend, I made the decision (yes, all on my tod!) that I would stay away from the computer, and spend some time sorting out the kids' rooms whilst they are at their dad's ... it was soo, sooooo difficult. I kept passing the desk, on the way to the kitchen... on the way to the bathroom (it's a strange arrangement, downstairs off the living room) ... or going upstairs again to take something up (like yet another pile of freshly washed clothes!). And each time I passed, I itched (yes, and my fingers were scrabbling to scratch the itch) to push that little switch and turn the computer on.

I lasted for most of Saturday. Then I 'suddenly remembered' I hadn't done the Norton Antivirus Check for a while... "I'll just turn it on, set the anti-virus going, and then turn off the screen" I thought, naively.

Ok, so I did turn it on, and I did put on the antivirus, but then there was that familiar sound of the fan... in the background... every time I passed. So, I switched the screen back on again. And off. And on... You have probably never, in your whole life, seen anyone fighting so hard against this self-confessed obsession!! Seriously. It was an ongoing battle :-D

And it's not because I haven't got anything better to do with my time. Admitedly, two people I'd like to have visited most (real life), I couldn't because I still had sniffles :-(
BUT, I had other people to visit, and very important re-arranging of bedrooms to do...

You know, I got through the whole of Saturday without actually blogging, or responding to comments... and was very proud of myself. Sunday, though, I just had to check my mail... and when I saw I had lots of comments, I read them in Outlook, and still managed to not break the blogging ban... until I saw Sanni's comment, that is. She'd been involved in a hit-and-run accident. Luckily she and her family were OK, but I felt I just had to go and say something...

Meanwhile, once Outlook was open, I begun writing to certain others off-line.... and then I realised something. It isn't just the blogging I'm totally hooked on - it's the people behind the blogging. The people I've got to know, just a little, since October when I started Words that Flow.


So, today, instead of rushing to do my next post, I've taken a little time to visit some of my favourite people first - by no means all... there are so, so many that I have run out of time to visit (being as my eyes are closing with tiredness of having been up since 6am, and now it's 2am 3am the next day!)

A big Thank you!

You (and that includes you, whether you comment or not... I've seen the numbers rise in the sitemeter counter on the side!) have enhanced my blogging, that I only started to have somewhere to put my poetry, which was then sitting in a raggedy old bag under the stairs...
I appreciate the unexpected pleasure I have got from knowing, or getting to know, you!

So, now the pictures:-

These images were from the other night, before that spectacular sunset that took my breath away... I was on my way to the local pond, where I used to go fishing with my brother and sisters (along with every other village kid) when I was young. I wanted to take a couple of pictures of the frost on the water. But on the way, I saw this amazing 'whirlwind like cloud' going from one side of the sky to the other:




(Don't you just think this looks like something out of Wizard of Oz?)




I took a couple of pics at the pond:





(I thought the shape of this tree strangely echoed what I could see in the sky...
compare it to the cloud picture above it)



(...and in the water is the cloud's reflection)



(...still faintly here... though I think the reflection of the house probably more interesting... :-) )
(there's another picture over on my poem Hand of Ice)



...then on the way home, the sun was setting, and I caught one picture with both the 'whirlwind' and the sunset in:






... just before the sunset begun:




(Does it look a little like this farm house is on fire?)



© Annelisa Christensen 1:19 am

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

25 Comments:

At February 13, 2007 3:20 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Blogging is bloody addicting isn't it? And you're right..we all have reAL LIVES AND COULD FILL UP OUR DAYS WITH VISITING OUR FRIENDS AND TENDING TO OTHER THINGS FOR SURE, BUT WE FIND OURSELVES WONDERING HOW THIS ONE AND THAT ONE OF OUR BLOG FRIENDS ARE DOING.
It's trying to find a balance that's hard. You could 6 hours a day visiting people and find excuses not to do your other things that need doing. If I worked full time like most people, I wouldn't be doing 1/2 of what I do with blogging. That's why I only manage to do 3 posts/week.

As usual, I love your shots! I'd love to live on that pond! You can see a building in its reflection...what is it?

What does "On my tod" mean?

 
At February 13, 2007 5:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Girlfriend........I need a hankie.........and, really, I've tried medication for my blogging obsession.......nothing seems to help!!!!!!! I'm ADDICTED!!!! ok, that felt better.......standing up to the room and admitting it......I guess that's the first step!

love you heaps and bunches!
rdkitty

 
At February 13, 2007 9:32 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Now, you know, MOI you're really addicted, when going to work, visiting friends, doing things that need to be done interferes with blogging lol!

I have admit, I've cut down the number of posts I do, to try and spend alternate days visiting blogging friends... I think (within the blogging world, at least) that creates some sort of balance.

Balancing with 'real' life (though this is real enough, isn't it! Real people through a 'virtual' medium?) is the act that's hardest. Though, if I have something I really want to do, nothing will stop me doing that.

The house reflected in the pond here (as opposed to the one in Hand of Ice, which at the opposite end, is just a residential house on the main road... this runs along the top of the ridge from left to right.

Oh yes "on my tod" means 'on my own'... don't know where the expression comes from...

 
At February 13, 2007 9:40 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hey, Kitty!! Blow your nose... it's Ok... now you've taken the first step and admitted it, you can just lean back and enjoy it! :-D Really! I can think of worse addictions than writing to friends...

Now, where did I put that warcraft manual? :-D

(sorry, couldn't resist that one... Fk will know what I mean... :-) )

 
At February 13, 2007 4:36 pm, Blogger TopChamp said...

We'll need to sort us out some blogorette patches... That'd make it easier (?).

I've been home for all of an hour and a half and have already posted my photos and holiday stuff so you can tell the bug's got me too... (as if you didn't already catch me out cheating on my blog-ban before).

I had a look at that poem and saw your icy picture earlier. It's lovely! Thought I'd comment when I'd had more time to mull it over though.

And as to common sense: I think it would be fair to say I'm a little bit short of it. But wigwams are BRILLIANT for only £12 per person per night.

 
At February 13, 2007 7:01 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

lol - you'd make a fortune if you developed those blogerette patches TC!! :-D

I'm glad you've got it bad as well - I've already been over to yours, and your pictures are fantastic (even a couple of your man! :-) ) What wonderful views you had! (Oh, how it makes me long for Scotland again!)

Yeah, about the wigwams - I thought they were going to be breezy, fabric ones with holes all over... the very idea....brrrrrr

But actually, they kind of look like mini log-cabins (or the scandanavian summer houses) and, apart from looking real cosy (don't think you could be long in one of those - cabin (I mean wigwam) fever wouldn't take long to set in...) they appear to have such wonderful surroundings... Cool!!

 
At February 13, 2007 11:11 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Oooops... I feel guilty you broke your blogging ban...

It felt so good you where there for me =) Thanks a lot Annelisa!

I guess that´s what my blogging addiction is about. I went home after the accident and felt I had to blog about it... although everything was weird (being a German I had "lost" my Englih words) I felt better after posting. And much better after my "Soul Patrol" - my blogging friends - came around and left warmhearted comments helping me to come over the accident! Merci =)

I love love LOVE the pictures, especially those with the house reflection!

 
At February 14, 2007 12:08 am, Blogger TopChamp said...

Hello - thought you'd like the snaps.... your old stomping ground. And if you are back up stomping around here pop in for a coffee (wine, beer, vodka, gin?)

 
At February 14, 2007 12:09 am, Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

No seriously, this blogging thing is a problem, as well as addiction to comments. I think we need to run down and check ourselves into the clinic.

PS not sure about whether there are limits on pics for the contest - you are best asking them. I am not going to look at them until the very end so they all have a level of freshness....

 
At February 14, 2007 9:16 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hey Sanni

I'm just glad you're alright. I wasn't sure, from how it was worded, whether the guy got away with 'trying to abscond'- I really hope not. It might have been an accident to start with, might even have been his fault, but leaving the scene and not making sure everyone's alright? There's strong names for people like that!

Funny, I knew when I took the house reflections that people might like them... Is it seeing an English house, I wonder? Or, perhaps, that there's something about reflections anyhow (I'm going to do a post about that particular topic sometime...)

 
At February 14, 2007 9:28 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

You betcha TC -
going out for a drink and a night out sounds good! You'll be hearing my stomping from a mile off!!

Hey, maybe you should enter one or two of these pics in the photo comp Maryam mentioned... I'm on my son's pc at the mo, so can't open up new windows easily(and so can't get the link), but if you go to hers, and go a couple of posts back...

Can just see it - perfect February photo - camping in a wigwam in Scotland!!! :-D

And yes, I did really appreciate them... I'll be over to have another look in a bit (when I've sorted out my post for the day)

Oh, btw, tell your man he's 'cute' :-D

 
At February 14, 2007 9:41 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Maryam... don't worry about it.... you don't have to go anywhere! I informed the clinic, and they're sending the guys in the white coats round to get you...

Don't leave the house...

Don't do anything...

Just turn off (yes, I did say turn it off!!!) the computer...

and stay exactly where you are!

..... really, don't move.




(If you run - they'll find you!)




I'll go check to see if there's a reply to my question... I think I asked, I'm not sure... all this blogging is fogging me brain!

 
At February 14, 2007 9:49 am, Blogger Chipmunk said...

verry good pictures!

 
At February 14, 2007 9:55 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

And what a cool profile pic Tinna!!

 
At February 14, 2007 11:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelisa!
Great post! True words. Thanks for sharing!
Every day or weekend I say to myself - stop!! But....
I'm addicted too!
Thanks for soo beautiful pics!!

"There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved".
Happpy Valentine's Day!

 
At February 14, 2007 3:19 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hello Kyrstyna - you came too early for the Valentine post I mentioned your blog and valentine video in... :-( [I'm sooo slow today... I only got dressed after lunch!! Talk about lazy :-) ]

Anyhow... seems like I need to get the white-coats out on most of my blogging friends... won't have anyone left to blog with soon :-D

You're so right about love being the greatest happiness (though a jolly good belly-laugh comes in pretty close! :-) ) And I wish you a Happy Valentine's back!

 
At February 15, 2007 11:49 am, Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Listen, I am waiting for those men in the white lab coats. I am willing to help get myself into a no blogging straight jacket. Would you mind calling emergency again?

 
At February 15, 2007 2:01 pm, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

During my days of absence, I can't abstain myself from using the computer. Even though I'm exhausted and am unable to blog, I still go around online wandering aimlessly...

And yes, I know what you mean! Computers emit these sort of attraction which pulls us closer to it, tempting us to caress its metallic body and to push its button... =P

Like you, I'm also hooked to the people behind the blogging, and also blogging as a hobby itself. It feels refreshing, lol! =P

Wow, you already got people commenting on your first post? Cool! =P My blog was unknown to everyone until a few months later when people slowly stumbled onto my blog... And then I met you (or you met me, hahaha! =P).

It's really great to get to know you annelisa! You are a really nice lady! =D

And wow, the whirlwind cloud is beautiful. Never seen anything that looked like that. And yep, I can identify that tornado-like cloud from the Wizard of Oz. =P

Love the pond picture too. I can't believe the water is sooo calm! =O

 
At February 17, 2007 1:28 am, Blogger Mystic Rose said...

Oh wow..the pond pics are so beautiful..i bet the water is coooold. :)

and that last sky pic..wonderful!

 
At February 19, 2007 8:12 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

I'm guessing the water was pretty cold, Mystic, but I wasn't about to try it (though I nearly fell in going round a narrow edge to the pond! :-))

That sunset was one of the best I've seen for a long time - really took my breath away!

 
At February 19, 2007 8:20 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Maryam - they're on the way!!!

 
At February 19, 2007 8:22 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

FK - I am delighted I met you too! It's a real pleasure to know you... you are like a fresh breeze!

A lot of the comments back at the beginning, I think, were written later, when people have had a wee wander through the blog... :-)

Right, got to take a break from this particular addiction to make dinner...

 
At March 26, 2007 8:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelisa,my name is dana,I have read your whole blog.It is just beautiful!!!I have just started my blog.though i have not a way to put up my pics and things.I am the bigest lamer of all virtuality!!!As for the bloging obsession,who are we without our stories.

 
At March 26, 2007 9:23 pm, Blogger dana said...

PEACE,LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING,THE DIVINITY OF NATURE,UNCONDITIONAL LOVE..............???????????



WE HOPE.

 
At March 29, 2007 3:21 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Wow, Dana, what an honour for you to have read all my blog! I feel very warmed by that - I had a quick look at your blog too... and I like the poem you put in your comments (shouldn't it have a place/ post of its own? :-) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home