Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

30 December 2006

One Summer's Day...

Today was cold, wet, blustery... so I'm going to cast myself back to a day that was warm, bright and balmy! A very peaceful day I spent alone with my thoughts, whilst mingling with others...

These photos were taken a couple of summers ago, at a place called Pashley Manor... I put one of the other statue pictures from there back in October in the Temptation of Eve post. I'd woken with the feeling of having to do something, go somewhere, and I found there was a craft fair in this Manor - two birds with one stone- I could look around the Craft fair, and if I had time over, I'd check out the grounds.





Well, I looked around the craft stalls, and there were some beautiful country wares - intricately carved wood items, woven and sewn pieces, enamelled pottery, hand made cards and the like. And nothing was within my near-empty purse's capabilities...

In the end, I found on this very wonderful glass-blowing stall some beautiful tableware and mirrors, with bubbles caught frozen in the glass. They were divine. And I couldn't afford them :-( I was about to walk away, when I spotted a single pair of earrings, of the same bubbly glass, for the total amount sitting snuggly in my bag... and couldn't resist...




So, triumphantly I left, clutching my colourful, little paper bag (sorry, wouldhave put a picture of the earrings on here, but would you believe, I can't find them anywhere! I remember I put them somewhere 'safe'....), only to find the real treasures were outside and free!







The statues were delightful (as you can see) ...and within the trees' branches and almost completely disguised against their trunks, hidden masks and wooden effigies revealed themselves as I followed the paths behind the pond with the central fountain. Later, I sat on a grass bank, eating a slice of fruitcake, and sipping a coffee (I never drink tea when I'm out - it's always made wrong! :-) ) looking out over the water (I used that as a header picture for my fairy poem, Dawn Birth) Talk about tranquil...





Ah, those lazy, hazy days of summer!






Aha! Had an epiphany whilst answering Mother of Invention's message, and found the earrings! This is them :-) ...



© Annelisa Christensen 8:51 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

13 Comments:

At December 31, 2006 12:30 am, Blogger TopChamp said...

OK I have to ask - how do you make tea then?

 
At December 31, 2006 4:04 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Such beauty statues! I'm always forgetting where I have put things to be safe! Drives me nuts!

Yes, do you make it in a pot or by the cup? Steeped for how long? Orange Pekoe? Red Rose? Tetley? Earl Grey?
English Breakfast from Twinings I like.

 
At December 31, 2006 10:48 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hey TC, how're you doing? Ready to see the New Year in?

Tea? I really don't know what it it about tea when you're 'out'... maybe it's because it's left too long, maybe because (unless you get to see what sort of tea goes in) it's cheapo tea, but it's just very risky to get... whereas coffee - well, how wrong can you go? I can drink coffee, weak, cooked on the stove, instant (:-) ), filtered, whatever... So, no risk!

There were more statues than the ones I photographed, Mother, and they were dotted throughout the formal gardens too... I just happened to like the 'wild' areas better.

OMG, MOI! I read your line about always forgetting where you've put things to be safe (so do I!) when I had a flash of memory where the earrings might be - I took them to Norfolk, and left them in my bag! :-) So, picture going on in a minute :-D

Tea - funnily enough, though I enjoy different teas (especially white tea with strawberry and gree tea) it's often one little teabag in a whole pot... I've also got a couple of pint-sized cups from my pregnancy times (a pint of milk before bed was all that would settle my stomoch to sleep at night :-D), which I sometimes leave on a radiator (mines got a convenient flat top)with a teabag in - still weak, cos I top it up with water when I get near the bottom!

lol Sometimes, it's so great to be single and to get away with all my quirks without censor :-D

 
At December 31, 2006 2:05 pm, Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

That garden is breathtaking. That is my dream to have sculptures dotting our olive grove - found in unexpected places. Some day, some day...

 
At December 31, 2006 3:33 pm, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

Those are really pretty statues. Hey, if you can't afford you, you could always frame these pictures and put them in your living room! Ahhh! Just a suggestion =).

The earrings look really cool and funky! I like them!

Well, I just want to take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year 2007! =D It's about time in this part of the world!

 
At December 31, 2006 4:05 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I LOVE these earrings! I'm an earring freak and have many that are very unique that people say, only I can get away with wearing! They are my trademark! Turquoise is one of my fav colours too. Are they glass? It looks like raindrops or amoebas/protozoa inside them!
Good taste!

I like tea in a pot, medium strength! Do you have the traditional 4:00 p.m. tea time with some eats, and then eat dinner later?

 
At January 01, 2007 10:48 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Maryam - yes, garden was gorgeous! That would be a really great thing to do with the garden... One of the things I always wanted to do was to hang lots of gemstones (ok, glass ones), mini mirrors and magical things round the garden, so every corner revealed something shiney or interesting...

There's another garden near here that has a small area like this round a pool... it's breathtaking (just wish I was a kid again!)...

ehm, wonder if there's any 'proper' plants amonst all the weeds out there!!

 
At January 01, 2007 10:54 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hey, FK - trouble with your picture idea (which is a very good one :-) ) is that there's not a lotta room on my walls to hang anything, let alone a blown-up picture! Might be able to find a space for a picture postcard sized photo... maybe :-)

Wore the earrings last night (thanks MOI - wouldn't have remembered where they were without your timely comment :-)) - it was great to have them back!

 
At January 01, 2007 11:03 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Mother of Invention - yes, they're a turquoise glass with little bubble caught in them - I could imagine they'd suit you very well!

When I was young, I remember coming in every day from school, and a pot of tea on the table, with a plate of home-made pastries, biscuits or cakes... now I tend to drink tea whenever the fancy takes me, and (unsuccessfully) try to replace the cakes and biscuits with fruit... maybe I'll re-awaken the old tradition... I used to so look forward to coming home to that!

 
At January 07, 2007 2:15 am, Blogger mystic rose said...

esp loved the kissing couple. but all the statues have some charm. they just captivate. thanks for the pics. :)))

and hugs hugs hugs for that head shave.

 
At January 07, 2007 2:16 am, Blogger mystic rose said...

Im gonna use these pics..i want to. they just invoke some feelings. :)

 
At January 07, 2007 11:32 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Yeah, I kinda liked that one Mystic, but the one I like best is the second one, as it was right on the edge of the grounds and looked so proud and contrasting to the rolling hills behind...

Glad you like the pics!

And thanks for the hugs - never too many of those :-)

 
At April 11, 2007 12:31 pm, Blogger twilite said...

Hi Annelisa, I just can't resist remarking on the interesting ear-ring...are they cuttings from stones?

I like the public art statues in the gardens...sensuous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home