Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

11 December 2006

Tomatoes

Haven't got time to make a proper post just now - I'll do that later - but I had this kind of 'epiphany' yesterday... and it was all about tomatoes!!!

I was rushing round, walking dogs, visiting mum, sitting down by the seafront, and ending with doing a shop. Now, I always buy those tiny little tomatoes when I shop - cherry tomatoes or baby plum tomatoes - to eat on the way home.

I find I like to eat something, and it used to be sweets (candy), but one day I discovered tomatoes. You open the wrapper before you drive off, and put the carton on the seat beside you. Then, when you feel the nibble-urge, you simply reach over, break a mini-tomato, brush off the stalk with your thumb, and pop the little gem into your mouth....

Mmmmm. You don't know what you're going to get - a sweet one or a tart one. There's a moment before you break through the skin with your teeth when you don't know. There's virtually no taste. Then very gently you close your teeth, and out gushes all the contents...the juice fills your mouth.

My favourites are the tart ones. The ones that are slightly unripe. So there's a few sweet ones, or the occassional 'plain' one, then yum - the sharp and sour of the new...

© Annelisa Christensen 8:18 am

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

8 Comments:

At December 11, 2006 8:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not' a big fan of mato's ,but I can see where your comming from I'm the same way with bell pepper's freash out of the garden .I love eating thing's before they ever get the chance to make it home .

 
At December 11, 2006 12:20 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Better than placing a bag of chocolate or chips on the passenger seat! You'd love the Concord grapes we have in the fall, the deep dark round ones that you can squeeze and they pop out of the skin, looking and feeling just like eyeballs!!! (I don't know what eyeballs taste like so I can't do a comparison!)

 
At December 11, 2006 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loath tomatoes that are raw.

 
At December 11, 2006 5:50 pm, Blogger M. Shahin said...

....I'm feeling a little hungry here :-) I don't usually like tomatoes just by themselves, but I will eat them raw with other foods like chickpea and eggplant dips with pita bread. I also love the little cherry tomatoes, but it is unfortunate that a lot of tomatoes don't taste good anymore because of the pesticides they spray on it. Only once in a while will I taste a really good tomato.

I grew them for a while when I had a garden, and they are to die for. So delicious...I better get out of here before I eat this post ;-)

 
At December 11, 2006 7:04 pm, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Annelisa,I know what you mean
That mouth watering moment of anticipation, before the fruit bursts in your mouth -
I like my tomatoes & peppers fried,
but biting into an apple or orange can be just the same - you may know what to expect by the name or type - but you can never be sure till you take a bite ...

 
At December 11, 2006 9:40 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D

Funny - a quick thought, and so many thoughts follow... it's great to hear all the different ideas about such a simple 'fruit' (I made the mistake of putting cherry tomatoes in a fruit salad on the basis they are fruit - guess how well that went down!! :-D)

Hiya Hope - Actually, I'm not a big fan of normal sized tomatoes, unless cut up into a salad... there's something nice about organic, on the vine tomatoes though...

:-D MOI - I love the way your grapes pop out like eyeballs (reminds me of my Fussy Eater lines:

Splat! A brain hit the wall.
Pop-Pop-Plop! A bullet train of eyeballs
stuck fast to the ceiling.
Mother monster had that sinking feeling...


Must admit, I quite like grapes as well, but they tend to be more uniform, and it's the surprise I like with these mini tomatoes!

Funny, Brian, but a lot of people do! Reckon it's a left-over from childhood? They have to be the right tomatoes - not any old tomato will do!

Well, give me a choice between brownies (not your brownies, Topchamp! :-) ) and tomatoes, I'd likely as not pick the brownies... but I purposefully buy the tomatoes to stop myself munching the choccies (putting on too much round the waist already :-))

M Shahin - Definately home grown anything is better! And sometimes i'm even disappointed with orgainic, but in the case of vine cherry tomatoes I make an exception. They tend to taste good!

Mmmm have to agree with you on the apple and orange. Ever read Enid Blyton's 'Faraway Tree'? Theres a bit in there about these sweets (?) that you put in your mouth, and they swell and swell, until they suddenly burst with sweet honey, which drips over the tongue... Well, what I'm thinking of kind of simulates this.

I love fried tomatoes - favourite meal is puttenesca!

 
At December 12, 2006 3:08 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

What's puttenesca?

 
At December 12, 2006 4:14 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

MOI - puttenesca contains ingredients I used to hate - anchovies, olives and capers, along with tomatoes, chillies and garlic (and often I put in onions, though it's not in the original recipe) - into the most mouth-watering, yummy scrummy sauce you serve up with tagliatele! (oh, I first had this while pregnant, which might explain things a bit...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home