Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

19 January 2007

After the storm 1

So, yesterday I was snap-happy again. I've got a lot on today, but I'd like to share just some of the many pictures with you... (the rest I will post bit-by-bit!)

In the morning, I missed the first amazing sky-scenes, as I found that my watch was on a go-slow just before 9am, and we were all running really late for the school run... so, leaving the camera sitting confused and alone on the seat inside the door, we made the last-minute dash! All the way, looking out the car windscreen, I willed the beautiful scene to hold... just long enough for me to drop off the kids and get back. Well, of course it didn't stay the same- what did I expect!

So, on my return, the first thing I did was grab the camera from it's sulking place, and whip out the door again... leaving the poor dogs wondering, "what the hell is that mad-woman's doing now!?!"

Just caught the tail-end of this sweeping, swirling cloud in a dark blue, freshly cleaned sky:

Is it a rabbit?... or a dog?
...what do you see here, jumping over the roof-tops?




This one was much wider, and originally looked like
someone had got a giant paintbrush and swept it across the sky!


Then, I was clearing the boys' room , and looked out the upstairs window as the sun came out from behind the cloud. Luckily the camera wasn't too far away, so I swung the window open, just in time to capture this mini rainbow (Quasar9 did a post on these a little while ago, so he'd know what they're called!) gleaming in the clouds:









Close up... can't see blues and greens... just like a mini-sunset


Then, later I was heading down to the coast to see Julia, and stopped the car to snap up these two shots:





Think this one looks like an old-fashioned quill pen,
dipping into a pot of pure-white ink...


© Annelisa Christensen 11:54 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

14 Comments:

At January 20, 2007 2:48 pm, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

Hehehe, no wonder they say the sky, or weather, is unpredictable. =P

I love the clouds hanging on top of those cute terrace houses! I would love to live in such comfortable houses! =) You know, I think it's more of the house which grabbed my attention. =P

The sky at that time looks pretty to me! Hmmm, it does give a certain optimistic outlook to the day.

You know, at the last picture, it looks like as if a spiraling tornado is slowly making it's way down to earth. =O When I blink again, I saw a mermaid/dugong splashing into the sea.

What weird interpretations I have huh? =P

 
At January 20, 2007 8:27 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures!I love the cleared sky after a storm - and we had lots of storm the last few days =)

I´m sorry for my "disapperance" - my internet-connection didn´t do it´s job. Sometimes we had a dial-up connetion for a few minutes, sometimes nothing.

Broadband is back - and so am I =)

 
At January 20, 2007 10:45 pm, Blogger ann said...

You've captured it all so amazingly... I tell you I don't recall the last time I felt so terrified as on Thursday. I thought our office roof was gonna come off and the ceiling collapse.

Hope you and yours are well

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

 
At January 21, 2007 10:08 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Funny that you like the houses... there was me trying not to put them in!!! I was thinking they disrupted the view! Actually, if you're still up for swapping, FK, mine's just to the left of me, but it's the same as the semis you can see in the first picture...

I like your imagination of the tornado and mermaid - once you said it, I could see it! (Maybe I'm weird too :-D)

 
At January 21, 2007 10:14 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Sanni- don't ever apologise for your disappearance - it's your presence that's so nice! We all have lives to lead outside blogging... and if that means you're not here for a day, a week, a month... well, you'll be missed, but your return will always be the lovelier! (Friends are around because they choose to be, not because of obligation, don't you think?)

Don't I blether! It's lovely to see you back, Sanni! Glad you got your connection on the go again! :-)

 
At January 21, 2007 10:18 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hey Ann! Yes, the storm was pretty scary at times... but I have to say, I have a certain fascination and excitement when it's like that (What a boring life I must live! :-) )... the same as when you get snowed in, or there's something else major going on... as long as no-one gets hurt!

I wish I hadn't been at work that day - I would've been out taking loads of windy pictures!! (instead of just the tail-end...)

Hope things are a bit better for you.

 
At January 21, 2007 1:40 pm, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Awesome photos
awesome displays in the sky
Like an artist's brush strokes
clouds blown by the winds
like water colours thick and thin
for a moment in mid air hanging on
and then the image is quickly gone

 
At January 21, 2007 3:46 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

What a Sky Girl! That last one looks like a funnel cloud of a tornado to me! Yikes! Aunty Em! Aunty EM!

(So you DID finally clean your house?!!)

 
At January 21, 2007 7:56 pm, Blogger TopChamp said...

They're beautiful pictures. I've been noticing the sky much more since I started reading your blog. Fairly often here it's matt grey but when the glimpses of sun sneak through it's special.

So thanks x

Hope you've had a lovely weekend!

 
At January 21, 2007 10:18 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Nice poem, Quasar9...Sometimes I do think of it like a giant ever-changing painting... sort of like one of those magna-doodle pads, except paint, continually wiped clean and fresh ideas thrown at it! Certainly, it usually captures my imagination!

 
At January 21, 2007 10:36 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D Bet you have the red shoes too, MOI!!

...and no, I didn't. I went out, and did other things yesterday. Today I drove for 5 hours in all, collecting my daughter to take her to her karate grading, visiting my sister, then collecting the kids on the way back... Only got in a while ago, and will have to do something about the house before work tomorrow! :-)

[It could be worse... Scurrilous could be visiting and creating a terrible stink... though I'd rather it was Kleptomania, so a few things would go missing and I didn't need to find a place for them!!]

 
At January 21, 2007 10:42 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D I remember the grey, Topchamp... But I also remember some lovely moody days, and even some days sitting out in the sunshine studying in the summer!!

I'd be lying if I said I was a little flattered by what you said... I was a lot flattered... Gave me a warm feeling, to think that I had a wee influence on your noticing what's going on round you... and once you start noticing, then there's no going back :-D

Hope you had a lovely weekend yourself!

 
At January 22, 2007 3:18 am, Blogger Mystic Rose said...

oh wow...awesome! i love it when the sun comes out from behind the clouds and that sky is fresh, rain washed.

but htese clouds you've captured are somehting else!

 
At January 22, 2007 11:49 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Mmmmm, me too Mystic... the air feels all washed clean, you can breath easier, and everything fair gleams!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home