Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

11 January 2007

Me defined!




I've been tagged by Mystic Rose at Frothy Waters to name 10 things that define my style:

Ten things that define my style. This should be something that means something to you..it could be music, or certain music you like at certain times, book, fav perfume, something that you like to indulge in, fav pastime, fav person, a film star who symbolises something for you or a movie, a vacation,a pet,something you do to get you out of a bad mood...let the imagination soar...:)

So, I'm going to have to think long and hard about this (well, not tooo long - I still have the washing up to do; and not tooo hard - might do my brain an injury! :-) )

Let's see.

  • My children: They are part of me. They are seperate from me. They are who I live for, and work for. They give me new life. They challenge who I am - regularly. They tickle me, as I tickle them. They tease me, as I tease them. They worry about me. I worry about them. They make me laugh and cry and burn with frustration. They drive me round the bend, then totally bring me to my knees with a kind gesture. I swell with pride over all of them. Each is unique and has aspects that I adore. No matter what they do, or will ever do, I love them.

  • I believe in the extraordinary: I think we try to define who and what we are, but we never really know what we are capable of until we try something new. I'm a real 'stick to what you know' person, and like the comfort zone that surrounds that idea... BUT, I really love to do something different, on the spur of the moment, or something a little (or sometimes a lot) scary just to remember I'm alive. My recent head-shave did that for me. The whole process was something I've never done on this scale before. I've collected £100 to enter a charity Dragonboat Race for a couple of years, and thought I was doing well then! But this - it recreated me, if you like. I'm still the same me, but I feel just a bit more confident. There were things I did in the last couple of months I wouldn't have dared to do before.... Standing in front of an assembly, and making a mini- speech declaring my fundraising intention; deciding to do something which I absolutely knew would change the way I perceive myself (ie ridding myself of my much-attached hair); Drumming up support (I'm normally too unassuming, and don't ask anyone for anything); accepting help from others (usually totally independent, to a degree where I have to question my vehemence) and, finally, getting up on stage in front of all those kids, teachers, staff and my children and having a fit of the giggles doing it!! That I never expected. But most of all, is the re-definition of me - the image I present to the world. So many people have commented on how I look so much better/ younger/ less heavy or weighted down. I'm beginning to accept what people are saying, and might just keep the fuzz on top! :-D

  • Periodic obsessiveness: I have phases of obsessions, where I totally throw myself into something that interests me eg family history...ehm... blogging

  • The future: I have had this wonderment since I was a young child of being in exactly the point in history that I want to be. A time of change from the relatively technically free childhood (we didn't get a tv until I was about 10, and then it only had two channels , whilst everyone else had 4; and the only other technical things in the house were an old tape deck that took those huge reels that looked like cine-films and a radio which blared out rock n roll whilst I did my homework.) to now (with computers and tv, video player, dvd player, mp3 player etc etc etc - oh yes, MOI, and all those horrible games you mentioned you had to take off the kids!! :-D ) then hopefully onto the future, where I can imagine, but suspect reality will exeed expectations... In my childhood, I wanted so bad to live now and see this future. It just feels like the perfect place in time to be...

  • Saying that (ha ha) - the past: I feel like I actually belong in the past. Many of my views are old-fashioned and possibly prudish. I have high expectations of others and myself to be decent to others; I expect and show politeness; I am an utter romantic and would rather create an elaborate sentence than swear (except if I'm really p*sd off!) . Oh yes, and if I didn't have to do all the practical stuff I do, I might just wear long dresses and skirts instead of my usual jeans!)

  • And the now: Every minute I'm alive, I immerse myself. I feel through all my senses and want to catch every moment and bottle it... Scrub that! There's a lot of moments I really don't want to have to re-live... I'll put it another way... I am just so in awe of life, of being alive, and the amazing difference from being lifeless... a rock, the air, the sea...and able to wriggle my toes, blink my eyes, write this incredibly long meme...! There have been a couple of times in my life I thought I'd die, and have lost some close family and friends. There's no point in worrying when the time will come to pop the clogs (and I'll come back and haunt as many as I can, just so's you know I'm not letting go of life that easy! :-) ) as we can only do our best to care for ourselves. Everything else is in the hands of the fates...

  • What number's this? Seven? Ok... seven: Friends. Friends define you like nothing else can. My friends are few, but close. Though friendly to all, I throw myself whole-heartedly into the relationships I have, but that will never stop me from being open to new ones. My childhood goal, apart from being an astronaut when I grew up, was to learn every language in the world so I could speak to anyone I wanted to... I speak English very well... :-D

  • Writing: I define what I write, but the act of writing defines me - has always been a part of me. Forever ago I wrote stories and poems. Every year Santa left me a diary in my stocking, and I couldn't wait for the next one - to begin a fresh new page in a fresh new book, with ideas spilling out of me like a barrel that's lost the cork! Sometimes I wake in the night, and something's playing over and over, and I just have to get it down on paper before I forget it (which I definately do, if I don't capture it at the time). Now, thanks to my PDA, which has its own 'pen' hooked in, and a backlight, I can write flat on my back in the middle of the night...and not wake up to a whole load of scribble criss-crossing the page!! When I don't write, I start to numb-up, to become insular and restless. I would love to write for a living, but (like for most) that's a dream I will have to continue to aim for.

  • Image-wise, I've always (since teenage years) had whacky hairdos (but never no hair like now!). I used to wear heavy make up (plastered on like a mask - in fact, it was a mask, because I was so, soo shy as a younger child I had to find a way to hide...) I used to wear quite different clothes (very goth) and would again, if I felt I could get away with it still... There was a woman in Stirling (Scotland, where I studied) who must've been about 60 to 70 (she seemed ancient to the younger me!), and who had her hair spiked up in lots of bright colours, and wore such outrageous clothes for a such an oldy. I loved her to bits ... or rather just loved to see her walking down the street - defying everybody, defying society, defying old age, defying any one of us to challenge her!!! I remember thinking I'd like to be like her when I was old :-D I managed to keep the sides of my head shaved until last year [Not bad for a two hundred and fifty year old bird, eh?] Oh, and I guess image-wise I would have to throw in my perfume, which is 'Opium'

  • Lastly (surely not!) I think I would have to say the film industry, generally. Since the moment I could skive off work on the farm (this was my life from when I was knee-high to an ant until I left for university), and sneak into the house to watch an afternoon movie with my sister I was totally in love with movies. I can watch one over and over, and see new things each time, and love it as much as the first time. My shelves are equally filled with books and films. Unlike some, I'm no critic - I just like them or don't like them... I won't sit there for hours saying 'why'. If they raise an emotion in me, I consider them good. If I'm bored I consider them bad. If they are just gratuitously violent, I walk away. Mostly, I love sci-fis, romantic comedies, comedies and period dramas, but will also watch horror. I don't much enjoy war films, though saying that there are some that I found great (eg Schindler's list, The Human Condition, A Year of Living Dangerously and some others that show how not everyone follows a leader without questioning, but considers human life and dignity above all else...)
Dear, oh dear... have I gone over the top with this one? Never mind. I needed a good writing session... it releases the tension :-) Thank you, Mystic, for coming up with this one - it was thought provoking, interesting and fun!!!

Now, I could tag a whole lot of people... there's quite a few in my sidebar I'm curious about, and would love to hear more from ... for instance:

-Giuliano at G. Grassi Photography
- One Of at One too many
-Katie from Little Bits of Me, Katie
-Water Baby from The World Exploded last Thursday
- Farris Thorne at Freeform Fresno

and an enormous number of others who I don't know if would want to do it, or am not yet so well acquainted to feel ready to ask...

Then there's also those I like to tag, cos they do it so well, like:

-Mother of Invention at Spilling Out
- TopChamp at Bad Jokes and Oven Chips
- Diana at The Other Side
-Mimi at Mimi Writes
-Madd at Madspace
- Sanni at Coffee 2 Go

oh darn... I really can't decide who to tag... the list is endless... and I wonder how many other people who've visited, but haven't yet introduced themselves, would like to do the meme here or at their own blog, and leave a message so's I know you've done it. Oh well, like Mystic, I'll say it's a free-4-all! If you want to do it - do it!




© Annelisa Christensen 11:13 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

20 Comments:

At January 12, 2007 4:05 am, Blogger madd said...

lolol..careful I just might be one of the ones you might want to know about their style..:) I will have to think about this one..I'm not sure what style I even have..but if I have to pick..well I would say eclectic..oh yeah that's me, us ..with all of us who live here in madd'd space it would most certainly be eclectic..lol..you are just pure style..one all your own, it fits you very well..love you my friend..m

 
At January 12, 2007 5:51 am, Blogger TopChamp said...

Hello, I'm not biting - this looks way too hard!! I like your answers but I'm not sure you can 'define' your style. Maybe they're just things that affect your style or influence you.

Anyway - I might try to get an hours kip in now as the alarm across the road has stopped.

 
At January 12, 2007 7:35 am, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

Hey annelisa! Yep, some of the points that you wrote also define part of me as well, e.g. writing and believing in the extraordinary. Well, not exactly "the extraordinary", but doing something that I don't usually do myself.

I realise that last year, I became a bit more confident as well as I was a school prefect and I took part in quite a number of activities. =)

I'm a modern kid, yet I too feel I am rather an old-fashioned one, a Mr. Goodie Two Shoes and well-behaved! A lot of my friends think I'm kind of weird. =P

Oooh, I don't think I want to be as flamboyant as the old lady you described in your blog. ;)

Yeah, I got to go now, annelisa. I'm currently at Changi Airport and about to leave for Taiwan soon. Check out my new blog post for more information about it. In the meantime, take care! =D

 
At January 12, 2007 10:30 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Ha! I can't wait to see what you come up with, Madd!! I think it will be interesting, at the very least!
Let me know if you do it, won't you? That's not one I'd like to miss... I know you're short of time these days, so maybe not as extended as mine :-D

 
At January 12, 2007 10:36 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Oh, Topchamp - you poor thing! I just went to your place, and saw you were up with the computer on in the middle of the night, with that horrible alarm... I'm not surprised you're knackered!

You're right, I don't think you can say any one or ten things define you - your whole life, personality, relationships, everything defines you... but it was fun to try and see what came up as the most important things for me... And actually, thinking about them, I realise there are at least another dozen things I could name (but I won't :-D )

You need to get a catapault, or something, to hook a stone at the alarm - might not turn it off, but it'll make you feel better...and if anyone sees you, they'll think you were the one to start it off, call the police, and then you can spend some quiet time down the nick! :-D

Logical, innit!

 
At January 12, 2007 10:42 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Morning FK - now, curiosity's got the better of me... I'm going to have to wait to find out where you're going to (specifics, not just 'Taiwan' - you tease!) and why you're going... ooo, this is frustrating. I'll be round later to find out...

but before I go...

...can't believe you're actually reading my blog in the airport!! You are weird! (It a very lovable way, I assure you! :-D ) Mind you, I think we all are... just a little bit - that's what makes us unique. And I could just give you a big hug right now - for just being you! :-)

 
At January 12, 2007 2:26 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hiya Kitty... come to curl yourself round a hot choccie (there's one on the side, for anyone who wants a bit of warming :-) Always wanted to put chilli into it, ever since "La Chocolat"... have you tried this?)

Mmmmm... it's quite possible I'm leaking out something drastic in this post... but what the heck... what's a bit of sharing between friends, eh? Are you going to re-do yours then? Let me know where and when...

 
At January 13, 2007 2:21 am, Blogger One Of said...

Me again.

I just noticed that the links you mentioned in an earlier comment were in my first post. That explains that. Aaah.

Thanks, I'll check that stuff out post-haste.

 
At January 13, 2007 3:18 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Well, One Of - you do make it quite clear to a visitor they need to see that post first, so they can understand...

I'd highly recommend visiting those peoples... they're lovely, friendly and 'there' for you!

Glad you came a-visiting here again... I think I'll have some catching up to do round yours (btw, don't you get emailed when you receive a comment?)

 
At January 13, 2007 3:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelisa,

For some reason I kept losing the comment on your 10 defining things!
Wow! You have a lot and did a great one for me to follow and pattern after. Now I'll do it better than what I'd had in mind. (Can't find where Mystic did hers?)

You have many interesting facets...kids of course..they take so much space, time and love in your life. I can't imagine having 4! You must have been very young when you had your first! But you are such a cool mom!

Okay, what is a PDA? I've never heard of pop my clogs to mean die either!

I am a little like you in that I'm a combo of stick to the known but venture out, although not as much as you. You seem more of a wild free and creative spirit than me. I'd like to be more.

You sure have made up for the lack of tech as a young kid! And friends are ultra important to me too. We all have he writing thing but I don't have it bursting forth as much as you and not until I was 17. I can picture you in Gothic black! I love black but ontly because it's slimming!!!

Better get mine on the go probably for Sunday's post as I did the poetry Friday word today...kitchen!

Great post...so detailed!

Have a great weekend. Is raining here now but going to get cold and snowy!

Feel like hunkering down by my non-existent fireplace!

 
At January 13, 2007 4:09 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

lol, MOI!! See that huge paragraph at the top of the post, where it says what the meme's all about? That's all a link to Mystic's post! :-D But, to make it easy for you (hee hee) I'll put it again here: Mystic's Post

If you wrote this much the first time round, no wonder you were miffed!! It's so frustrating to lose a long mailing like that, isn't it!

I wasn't that young when I had my first child - in my twenties at least...My oldest is 17, and youngest 10, so I crammed them into a few years! Don't know that the kids think I'm a cool mum... but they're pretty much ok with who I am :-D [They've had a few years to get used to it by now!]

My PDA is a a hand-held organiser. I use it to write on - it takes quite big files, and it means I never get bored if I'm sitting around waiting for kids to finish some club or other... I never have to fumble about for pen and paper, or carry a notebook like I used to... writing freedom! Then, when I get back, I can just transfer the files back to the computer. And if I alter the file on the computer, when I link up, that will be transferred back to the pda to work on next time...

pop your clogs / Kick the bucket / Meet your Maker / Pass on / snuff it ... some of many colloquial terms for dying used here.

Got to do one of the taxi-runs just now, but you must come and share my (real) fire one day... and maybe eat some marshmallows dipped in chocolate melted on the top of the wood-burner!! :-)

 
At January 13, 2007 6:05 pm, Blogger mystic rose said...

awwww..where did my looooong comment go???? i was the first one to comment, i think!

 
At January 13, 2007 8:46 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

You left a comment, Mystic? Oh no, it must've gone where MOI's went... that darn voidoid!

Oh, now I'm so curious what it said!!!

 
At January 14, 2007 9:08 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

That PDA must have tiny keys for typing! My hands are large and Klutzy and I could never mabage it! Found that I already commented on Mystic's and had forgotten that! I AM losing it! Pay no attention, and if Mystic's reading...sorry I'm losin' it!!!

 
At January 15, 2007 1:46 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

lol! You are so funny, MOI!!!

So, what's new about you losing it? You seem to be forever losin' somethin' ...wasn't it your marbles, not so long ago? Glad I'm not the only one who forgets they already commented on a post!

You can get a seperate, fold-out keyboard for the pda, but can you imagine me typing upside down in bed!?! :-D
No, I use the little pen-like thingy that comes with it. It does do letter-recognition if you want to do longhand, but I always use the pen on the touch keypad at the bottom of the screen (a bit more reliable, and useable in any position! :-D ) - you can go really fast with practice...

:-) I could never mabage using tiny keyboards either!

 
At January 19, 2007 1:08 pm, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

Hahaha, I know this is a very late follow-up response, but I couldn't resist! I definitely cannot survive a week without touching a computer!

And the computers dotting (with free Internet access!) around the airport was TEMPTING me to check out everyone's blogs one last time before leaving. How could I resist??? Everyone's using it! =D

You have to go there one day to know what I mean ;). Singapore Airline does take off from London-Heathrow, so maybe you could catch a flight to there and see for yourself. ;)

 
At January 19, 2007 11:24 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Whoah! You have to be kidding! Free? Free access, FK?? The only time I went to an airport, and was tempted by the internet access, you certainly had to pay for it!! How could you resist, indeed!!!

Lucky you, that you could fulfill your addiction, even whilst leaving the country! :-D One day, I reckon we might all have these kind of small screens we carry round with us everywhere, and are in constant internet access... well, you never know!

 
At January 20, 2007 1:54 am, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

It has already happened. There's already free wireless access all around the airport. So you can bring a laptop and lo and behold, you're connected to the Internet!

And that's only in Singapore's Changi airport. Too bad there isn't any (or I can't find one) in Taiwan's.

There's a 15 minutes time limit though. But hey, all you have to do is switch to another PC nearby and restart the timer. Many people do that, including yours truly. =P

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. You have to pay some exorbitant price just to use the internet kiosk for what 15 minutes? It's not enough, and too expensive in the long run!

It really drives my brother (and I) crazy that we did not bring my mom's laptop. In all the three hotels we checked in, there's complimentary internet access. It's really...ARGH!!...why didn't we bring it in the first place?! =(

 
At January 20, 2007 9:38 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Ha ha! Never mind, FK - it's not so bad living in the real world for a little while... is it? You'll remember the laptop next time, though, won't you! :-)

 
At January 20, 2007 2:53 pm, Blogger that frolicsome kid said...

Heehee. *chuckle* Nah, I (and my parents) would rather me go cold turkey during the holidays. We have to see the world out there! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home