Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

02 November 2006

Writer's Workshop


The day started early, with a beeping from a distant room. Not the alarm, however, but one of the phone handsets, which had been used and discarded by my son at the end of the bed... under piles of washing, books and all sorts of paraphenalia (as it turned out, after 20 minutes searching! :-S )

So, that was 6am, and it was still dark, but I could see a chink on the horizon, where sunlight was sticking its fingers through and prising the darkness apart. Spontaneously, I decided to walk the dogs. It was gorgeous! Freezing, but delightful! By the time I'd done the school run, and got to work, I was on a real 'Oh what a beautiful day!' high.

Anyhow, that was a million years ago (seems like) and my eyes are being kept open with 'duck tape' - anyone who knows me knows how I fix everything with duck tape! :-) So, I'm going to chuck in a throwaway poem today. I wrote it when I was going to a writer's workshop years ago, and needless to say, didn't read it out loud - It sounds too much like an ad! :-) However, if I'm clearing the backlog, everything 'must go'...

[Poem Writer's Workshop removed for publishing Aug 2017]

© Annelisa Christensen 10:54 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

7 Comments:

At November 03, 2006 5:49 pm, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I've never been to one, except for teachers on how to teach writing to kids. I should go!

 
At November 03, 2006 5:54 pm, Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 03, 2006 6:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, but I don't have the courage to ever read my stuff in front of others. Blogging doesn't count.

 
At November 03, 2006 7:53 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

I sincerely apologise to whoever wrote the middle comment here - I promise I didn't delete it (haven't even seen it! :-( )

mother of invention - I went to a workshop for maybe 6 months. I'd never considered one before, but had great fun listening to other's offerings, some of which I admittedly thought, 'I could do better than that' but others which I realised I had a fair bit of work to do... But, the fun of it was being given little tasks to do (a bit like Brian refers to with the 'Thursday Poetry', stretching the way you think in different directions. And, of course, meeting other aspiring writers.

However, this blogging beats that hands down - there is such a bigger variety of people, and (I hope this doesn't sound writer-snobbish!) you can also decide from another person's writings whether theirs is a judgement you hold a lot of store by, or not (ehm, guess that does sound a bit writer-snobbish, huh?) Though, having said that, although there is the untaken opportunity, anyone can read and comment, which means you are not simply limited to a certain group of writers...

Brian - no, I found it difficult at first to read stuff out. I was always thinking that someone was going to burst out laughing, and say something like, " You're kidding, aren't you? You think you can write?" Followed by the rest of the group unable to contain their mirth any longer, and culminating in my humiliating retreat from the room...
Never happened, of course, since everyone feels the same, so some consideration for others' feelings is taken into account, and usually just a holding your hand up in front of your uncontained grin will do...

 
At November 05, 2006 3:08 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

What is important in poetry, I think, is having the idea. What form to express it, I don't know, but the rhythm seems to develop out of what you want to say?

 
At November 07, 2006 3:38 am, Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I'm not a poet
And I know it
When I try
It seems my brain will fry
I don't know what to say
Even if I try all day
I could go to a workshop
But I'm sure I would flop
So now I think I should stop

 
At November 07, 2006 4:29 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

:-D lol! Oh Kilroy, I just had such a chuckle reading your rhyme/ poem! And, I reckon, with a little help from a good teacher (mother of invention?) you could have some real fun improving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home