Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

23 October 2006

(I) Invisible


Ghostly happenings happen round me...
I've got many stories, but this was the most recent:

I was in the kitchen, clearing the dishwasher, and getting ready to wash the pots etc, when I looked up and saw two mugs, on cup hooks, side - by - side, rocking back and forth. I'd stood watching them for a several long moments, before I realised I hadn't actually done anything to make them move. Calling my eldest daughter for back-up (well, you know, the ghost might be like a poltergeist and be attracted to a teenager - this would, of course, give me time to escape, should the entity decide to move something bigger...like 'me'!). Anyway, she oh-so-slowly put down her book, and sauntered into the kitchen (as teenagers do). Then we stood side by side in silent contemplation. Watching this phenomena. Fascinated. Waiting for it to come to a halt, but it didn't.

So then, in unison, we tried to reproduce the effect on some nearby mugs, setting them rocking... As would be expected, they followed all the normal rules of physics and their arching slowly diminished, and stopped, before our two rocking mugs...

Finally, there was just one rocking mug... which kept going, and going and going. We were joking about a ghost showing itself, and making something else in the room move (but nothing did), until finally, after about 5 minutes, it came to a quiet stop.

For the next half hour we tried experimenting, to see what could have caused the misbehaving cups. We slammed cupboard doors, blew really, really hard (which imitated the movement a bit, but since I was the only one in the room, and certainly hadn't blown, we had to rule that out). We tried nudging it (which of course made the mug move, but it kept clashing against the other mug, no matter how hard we tried to push them simultaneously, or seperately). In fact, we couldn't reproduce the phenomena, and have to come to the conclusion there was 'something strange... going on... who're y'gonna call....?"

Surprisingly, all the kids went to sleep easily that night, but I was up half the night, wondering... :D

[Poem Invisible removed for publishing Aug 2017
other rhymes from this collection now on Amazon A-Z Monsters (not) For Bed]

© Annelisa Christensen 9:39 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

14 Comments:

At October 24, 2006 2:00 am, Blogger Mark Jakerson said...

right on!

 
At October 24, 2006 3:50 am, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Cool poem..very entertaining and good rhyming couplets!Poetry is neat.

 
At October 25, 2006 9:17 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks Mark, for coming back - Did She, or didn't she?

mother of invention and red-dirt-girl- thank you for your positive comments. You're welcome back any time! I love your blogs and will be also be stopping by!

Angel feathers tickle me - what a beautiful poem! It says, so simply, what I was bumbling round to say yesterday.
Keep feeding the little bird so it can continue to sing!

 
At October 26, 2006 12:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you have a really cool blog I know what it's like to have stuff like that happen I'm the same way when it come's to that.

 
At October 26, 2006 11:06 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

Hi Hope! Yes, it's kinda funny, though, that when things like that happen it's not actually scarey, but curious...
(my sister's house is/ was definately haunted :-), and wierds stuff was always happening when I stayed there...

 
At October 26, 2006 5:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never lived in a house that was hounted ,but I have always been blessed with wired stuff flowing me around where ever I go . One time when I was in walmart There was a messering cup that jumped across the ile now that was really funny I told the man working there that I dident do it I wasno where nere it.

 
At October 26, 2006 7:03 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Maybe you got spiritualist tendencies? Either that, or youre nifty with a mini invisible-thread lasso? :-)

I have to say, I used to be pretty sceptical about all this stuff (even trying to keep an open mind), but things keep happening to make me believe in the 'supernatural' (by which I mean ' things that are natural, that we don't yet understand). And I am now convinced there is an after-life, and I've definately got plans to come back and haunt certain people!! :-D

 
At October 27, 2006 11:47 pm, Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I'm having a difficult time deciding whether I enjoyed the story about the cups or the poem more. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Think this is easiert, Loved them both!

 
At October 29, 2006 11:57 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks, Kilroy :-)
This rhyme won a place in The Pumpkin House Poetry Competition a (good) few years ago, and I had a letter saying it would be published. Unfortunately, like the earlier prize that 'went astray' in the post, this never happened either. And they never bothered to answer my letters... :-(

 
At November 15, 2006 9:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its happens ot me too...especially when I am alone..:))

 
At November 16, 2006 1:45 am, Blogger Annelisa said...

What, the wierd stuff?

 
At November 18, 2006 4:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah :)

 
At November 18, 2006 8:34 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

ooooOOoo - have you got an example? :-)

 
At June 21, 2007 7:34 pm, Blogger Gledwood said...

ooer!

(ghostly voice:) oooo~~hoooo~OOO!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home